UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Emperors

Winterhaze13

Who is the greatest Roman emperor?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Roman emperor?

• Hadrian
    • Augustus (Octavian)
    • Marcus Aurelius
    • Trajan
    • Septimius Severus
    • Tiberius
    • Nerva
    • Claudius
    • Constantine
    • Other

I think its wrong to eliminate Julius Caesar from this poll. Ok, he wasn't an emperor. He was Dictator. For Life. Now that might not have lasted too long after he received this prestigous post but to all intents and purposes he had the same power. In any case, emperors got all sorts of titles from the senate or their own egos.

I would say.... Nero. His albums may have been crap but what a show he put on!

But I suppose Trajan has to smirk and walk away with the prize. Well done Sir. They may have laughed at you at first but who laughed last?

Edited by caldrail

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for some of you to consider. I saw a program on the Discover channel that suggests that Octavian murdered Cleopatra, instead of the widely held belief that she killed herself. She had had a son with Julius Caesar and Octavian felt that Cleopatra and her son would prevet him from becoming emperor. What do you guys thing? Is it possible?

Doesn't matter how Cleopatra and her spawn met their ends. It was the right thing for Rome.

My vote goes to Augustus. As a matter of fact, can anyone think of a better leader in the history of the western world? Gorbachev might approach since he gave up an empire without throwing the world into nuclear chaos.