UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
floppybelly

What About The God Of Theives?

I'm sorry to interrupt this entire forum with something completely off topic, but I wanted to post something and it wouldn't let me start a new topic without joining. I was just wondering, see, I have an idea. Some may not know this, but Hermes/Mercury was also the god of theives, along with merchants, travelers, and messengers. This is not noted on his description in the major gods category on this site. Also, I had an idea that one could make a game feturing Hermes, God of Theives. You could have him traveling and running errands for Zeus and Hades and in the meantime either helping mortal theives or actually being a theif himself. You don't have to say what you think, because I won't be back to see it. I'm just here while doing some research for my Romulus and Remus project for Latin. I was just putting it here because if I didn't share it with someone it felt like I would burst! [/ranting] And also, I didn't find Eris, goddess of discord and chaos in either the minor or major gods charts. I'm wondering if I'm wrong in thinking she was a Greek or Roman goddess.

Allright, I'm done now. carry on.

Yes, the mark givin unto him for stealing Apollo's cows. Mercury is also the god of science and business, but is more noted as the messenger/traveller. Eris is the Greek (Discordia is the Roman) goddess of discord and strife. And I don't know that much about games.

I was going to write something on both Hermes and Eris, but since you said you wouldn't be back to read it, I'm not sure what the point would be. I'm not sure what the point of making this post was even about. But I have a day off work, and am bored, so it's all good.

Hey, turns out I did come back after all. This actually doesn't look like such a bad forum to join, especially if you're into the whole Roman thing. Nice of you to reply, I'm glad to see the members here are actually friendly to newbs, unlike the first forum I ever joined. To this day I still wonder how I survived...

I never bothered to answer the original post... well because you said you'd never come back, lol.

The 'god list' is a very short description of the gods by design. The intention has always been to add to it, but its just one of many things on the 'to do list'.

Hey, he returned.

Eris (Discordia to the Romans) is technically a goddess, the sister of Ares. I don't imagine she had much of cult, though. People wouldn't go out of her way to attract her attention. She is known to us mostly from mythology, in the prelude to the Trojan War.

Hermes is the god of thieves, yes. You can think of Hermes as the god who crosses boundaries. He crosses physical boundaries since he is the messenger of the gods. He crosses metaphysical boundaries since he is the god who guides the souls of the dead to the underworld. And he crosses social and legal boundaries as a thief.

If you want a less poetic explanation, Hermes started as a regional fertility god of Arcadia, a pastoral, sheep herding land that was ill policed. The sheep herders in this rough land would often steal each other's live stock, and this folk memory found its way into Homeric mythology with Hermes stealing his brother APollo's cattle. :-0

Welcome back Floppybelly, yes everybodies pretty cool here, and helpful too when possible. I guess you got unlucky with your last forum, but don't worry, you won't find people picking on newbs here, ( well, nobody picked on me anyway and I haven't noticed it happening to anyone else) :D

I'm surprised to get such a warm reception, instead of things like, "I'll eat your head if you don't follow the rules!" (Don't ask...)

but for a little correction-

Hey, he returned.

Sorry, but I'm female.

and

I don't imagine she had much of cult, though.

Sory about the gender misunderstanding. :lol:

Discordians are a neopagan (and somewhat counter-counter sect) that came into existence in the past few decades. There is nothing ancient about them at all. They are a very conscious mockery of organized religion.

The point was that in the ancient world, I don't see Eris as having much of a cult. She would have been associated with her brother Ares, but Ares wasn't exactly popular with the Hellenes either. I could be wrong, but I think she was a more of a literary figure (as per Homer's Trojan War) than a widely worshipped deity.

I realize that this thread is a little old now, but I think it's kinda my "Hey, I'm new here, come say 'Hi'" thread. And I do want to be active in this forum, but let me ask you something: What exactly do you people post about around here? In the other forum I belong to, we have a little games chamber for when we get bored, and a fanfiction chamber, art, spriting, and miscellanious, of course. The forum itself is a pokemon forum, but that isn't all that it focuses on. I'm thinking that this forum needs a bit more diversity if you want more activity. Just a suggestion. But seriously, you can really only find so much about Roman stuff.

I'm thinking that this forum needs a bit more diversity if you want more activity. Just a suggestion.

We are trying... the more participants we have, the more the forum will automatically diversify.

But seriously, you can really only find so much about Roman stuff.

Well that is what this forum is all about. Sure other things are fine to talk about, but it wouldn't make much sense for a site about Roman history to do a forum based on playing card games for example. And besides, I have studied Rome seriously for going on 20 years and learn new things every day. :D

I used to grumble that nine out of ten threads were dedicated to minute military affairs, but as the site has grown we have more diverse topics on Roman culture, religion and ethics, thankfully.

I've made suggestions to also include a board for cultures related to Rome like Greece, Britain, Egypt, etc., as those cultures relate to Rome. I think that would open up a new playing field, and would be quite fun. We already had a nice discussion on Celto-Roman affairs.

The social lounge has a lot of nice, fluffy topics. I'm not sure what type of diversity you are looking for. This is, when all is said and done, a Romanophile forum. :-)

I've made suggestions to also include a board for cultures  related to Rome like Greece, Britain, Egypt, etc., as those cultures relate to Rome.  I think that would open up a new playing field, and would be quite fun. 

I agree, this would be fun. I must admit, I'm somewhat infatuated with Great Britan as a whole, and those people who live there. Especially the Scottish folks, they're just plain funny.