UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spartacus

Crisis Of Conscience!

Guest spartacus

A mixed bag of replies, except PP, would he still go if executions were part of the days programme along with gladitorial games, no firm commitment from PP yet!

Yes, I suppose it can be viewed as a morality question, its really down to your conscience and self-honesty!

Scaevolas reply is both sides of the fence, on the one hand he would attend, but now is against the death penalty, a crisis of conscience if ever I saw one!

PMs post is what I expected, trying to find a balance and justification to the debate!

However it is still a terrible way to entertain the masses by the slaughter of people and animals

Scaevolas reply is both sides of the fence, on the one hand he would attend, but now is against the death penalty, a crisis of conscience if ever I saw one!

A very small crisis, but not on my opinion both sides of the fence.

Going back in time, in essence I am viewing things that have already passed millenia before I was born. It would be like watching a TV show, I might be interested or revolted but it so far removed from me and beyond my ability to change (other than looking away) that it matters little...outside of a theological/philosophy debate.

Call me cold blooded but being able to be there to see the events and people outweighs the moral issue. In fact, it would probably reinforce my current objections and give me a stronger sense of how our society progressed to where I find the acts atrocious.

I guess I am not a black and white person. :lol:

Guest spartacus

Scaevola

Good answer and I respect your reasoning!

But I dont see how watching people suffer appeals to you greater than your sense of morals, I appreciate it reinforces your current beliefs but I find it hard to believe you can find any justification

Scaevola

Good answer and I respect your reasoning!

But I dont see how watching people suffer appeals to you greater than your sense of morals, I appreciate it reinforces your current beliefs but I find it hard to believe you can find any justification

The appeal is in being able to be a part of history that no one will ever really have a chance to.

Spartacus

Seeing if the acts happened, how they happened, and the feel of the crowd would enable me to make a firmer personal call on their morality.

My morality is not set or measured by a TV show, film, theatre, etc. I feel my morality is set by my actions in real life. As I stated, even though it's real to the people, to me it's very far gone. While I can view and judge their reactions, it will not affect mine by a measurable amount...or at least I hope.

I would not like to contemplate how I would feel if I found myself attracted to the acts as opposed to studying the actors. If that were the case, perhaps it would be a good thing I found out about a hidden darkside to my being.

Poste Script edit

Moonlapse

That is a primary motivation, observing history and knowing it is history without the actual people involved knowing. A blind if you will.

Guest Scanderbeg
so PP, you could sit there quite happily whilst lions ripped apart women and children!

:D

Cmon their not going to feed on children and women. Just Christians. :P

Guest spartacus

Scaevola

I never mentioned media, so where did that come from?

Only you can control your emotions, so why post about it?

Your post does not make any reasonable nor logical sense!

Advice: re-edit, then try again! :D

"But I dont see how watching people suffer appeals to you greater than your sense of morals"

"Your post does not make any reasonable nor logical sense!"

Provoking other members then shutting them down with presumption is not ok on these forums, even if you try to hide it beneath an ambiguous front of friendly discussion. While I do love the occasional heated discussion, it must be done without any hint of insult to any other members.

This is only my personal feeling but it seems that you are asking loaded questions and purposely mis-interpreting the answers to suggest the guilt or stupidity of others. I know this is harsh, but I'm seeing it in other topics and it IS affecting other members of the forums.

Guest spartacus

Yes, you are right Moonlapse

So, to the offended please accept my humblest apologies :P

I got carried away there!

50 lashes at dawn :D

Spartacus you are continuing to confuse things. The sport of gladiator fighting and criminals/slaves fighting lions was their form of entertainment. It is no different then middle age games. Like I have mentioned before in Roman times killing someone in that fashion was accepted in society as I also described the whole paterfamilias concept. Romans, after early republic, did not execute criminals, with exception of Cicero having Cataline's associates executed, instead they were either exiled, if they were convicted of more minor crimes such as treason, or sent off to be gladiators. It is the same concept as our death penalty. And no offense intended, but your lambasting of other peoples opinions is showing bad form as it is discouraging others from posting comments as well as making you look bad, and also being very biased towards your own opinions. Thats all for now.

PM.

My mistake it was late last night and I was reading posts fast and tiredly- don't think that ones in the dictionary- so must have missed. My apologies. :P