UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Hus

The Battle Against Rome - The Battle Of Varus

This is what I reckoned was a fantastic drama-documentary which was shown in 2009(?) on the History Channel.Rome_sw8yk.jpg

This remarkable documentary brings one of the most devastating battles of ancient times back to life: The Battle of Varus, also know as the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. Fought in 9 AD

...the german version you can watch for free on the ZDF site

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/#/beitrag/video/718370/Kampf-um-Germanien---Teil-1 Part 1

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/#/beitrag/video/723802/Kampf-um-Germanien---Teil-2 Part 2

I might add the germans dont have as far as i know the stupid country restrictions that the british and americans have and should be viewable world wide..

cheers and enjoy

viggen

Fantastic work, Viggen! Once again, you saved the day! B):lightbulb:

I would've loved subtitles or English translation, but can't have everything!

Edited by Hus

I'm sorry to say Viggen, but truly German is not a nice sounding language :P it also shows that it's been long since I last read or listened to it, for I can only understand one word out of two in these videos... bah, I shall probably get better at it soon since I'll have to speak dutch for my new job :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to say Viggen, but truly German is not a nice sounding language :P it also shows that it's been long since I last read or listened to it, for I can only understand one word out of two in these videos... bah, I shall probably get better at it soon since I'll have to speak dutch for my new job :rolleyes:

...@ Hus you are welcome

@Bryaxis, well french doesnt sound very cool to german ears either, kinda way too feminine and soft, and dutch well that sounds like a german with throat problems, but i guess every language has its pro`s and cons hehe

cheers

viggen

Dutch is a tough one. Always sounds a little like a mix between Welsh and Klingon, to me.

Dutch is a tough one. Always sounds a little like a mix between Welsh and Klingon, to me.

Dutch sounds a bit barbaric I must confess, but I never thought about it as a mixture between welsh and klingon :lol:

But here in the south of the Netherlands (the ex-Roman part) we have found a good solution by mixing Dutch, German and French into one language, which sounds much better....

I prefer all my books in English, as dutch just does not work for me :rolleyes:, and I agree it's a tough one for foreigners to learn....

Edited by Macerinus

It gets really bad when a non-Dutch speaker has to try and translate 'Dutch' (OK they may have been Flemish) messages on a train in Belgium for everyone else as happened to us once....Mind you I would have thought everyone could translate 'machinery kaput' for themselves ;)

Has no-one been able to locate this excellent docu-drama anywhere yet?

Well, I've tried watching this drama, but am sick of failing to understand a bloody word being spoken.

Why are these morons not releasing the dvd in the US or Britain? Talk about severing your own profits?

I found it for sale on a Dutch language website (using google translate), but crucially the DVD is listed as also being in English:

Execution: DVD, 2 discs, running time 105:00 minutes

Aspect ratio: 16:9 Anamorphic

Colour: Color

Region: 2

Other languages: English

Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0

Subtitle: Dutch

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.bol.com/nl/p/dvd/battle-against-rome/1002004007767326/index.html&ei=k8rvTqTsA4vG8QPzloX9CQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.bol.com/nl/p/dvd/battle-against-rome/1002004007767326/index.html%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Dm9S%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvns

A nice Christmas present it would make.

Edited by Kieronus

Well done, Kieronus!! Top marks for you and a very happy Christmas! B)

I emailed the site to ask how much p&p would be to the UK, I got this reply;-

"Dear Mr/Mrs, Thank you for your e-mail. Our shippingcosts to the United Kingdom are euro 14,35 per order.

We hope to have informed you accordingly.Met vriendelijke groet,

Tim

bol.com Klantenservice"