UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
P.Clodius

What Is Your Favorite Period...

anything from the late republic, from Marius to Augustus.

but once Augustus had secured power - I lost interest in the personalities of Roman leaders.

until there is an assassination......or an Auction

Welcome to UNRV and thanks for participating Germanicus. :) In the future though, we'd prefer thoughts so closely related and without replies in between, be posted all together in a single post.

No worries though, thanks!

While I certainly appreciate the politics of the Republic, I am interested in Rome as a cultural phenomenon, not just an historic one. The Empire is when "Roman" became a cultural designation for a wide variety of people, not just a geographical designation for a city on the Tiber. As far as the root identity of those of us descended from Western Europe, I think this is the era we can consider as our nativity.

Welcome to UNRV and thanks for participating Germanicus

Thanks primuspilus, and noted on your second point. Pleased to find such an outlet for ones interest.

All things Military from the Marius reforms to the Death of Marcus Aurelius.

RW, do you leave Marius' defeat of the Cimbri and Tuetones out of that favourite period then ? I guess you'd have to......

The Julio-Claudian era is probably the most fascinating with historical giants like Caesar, Augustus, Antony,Cleopatra, Caligula, and Nero. Its also interesting too see how so many of Augustus' preferred heirs died young, and how as a result the chain of events that led to the end of the dynasty with Nero occured. Its ghastly the way in which the imperial family devoured each other after Augustus' death (or before according to some).

And of course this era includes the life and times of Jesus Christ.

I like the period from the respublic was established until Augustus. There are interest in politics, military art, religion, architecture.

My favourite time is actually the Late Eastern Empire/ Byzantine period, not really Rome but still.

I just think it's an amazing, unique civilisation - a freak of history really. Greek christians dragging the beleagured rump of the Roman Empire through the medieval world. And they kept this turkey flying for damn near a thousand years! I love how they stubbornly maintain their preposterous claims of spiritual and temporal hedgemony over the world even when obviously outmatched by other powers, and the politics :rolleyes: are just, well.......byzantine.

I like the early republic too but basically, its all good