UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Runemeds

Specifically Julius Caesar

I haven't a clue whether I am posting in the right sector, but I'd like some insight.

I am creating a speech as an assignment, and I have chosen I am acting as a civilian discussing his opinion on Julius Caesar a short time after his death.

Basically this civilian is a supporter of Caesar, however he disagreed with a few of his actions. I have a moderately sized list of events that Caesar had done that the civilian can talk about, But I was hoping this community could help broaden that list, or help weed out anything that might be too 'out there' for a civilian to say. I currently have:

Positives to talk about:

High amounts of Victories Caesar has brought to Rome.

Enjoyed reading Gallic Commentaries.

Land divided up and distributed to the poor. Enjoyed the fact that the equestrians got upset.

Liked the fact Caesar invested personal money into buildings and projects.

Respects that he talked to the public a lot in his Early career.

Loves the pirate scenario, including poetry readings (Caesar taken for ransom, Offers to pay double, then kills them.)

A lot of Victory entertainment held. Flooded circus maximus (?) for ship battles, Seen as epic.

Defend Caesar in the civil war. Include "he had no choice", "Senate forced him into it", etc.

Negatives:

Caesar often gave foreigners Roman citizenship.

Recruited foreigners into his army.

Disagree with his ethics on the way he treated his army but compliment how efficient they were.

Gossip and Rumors:

Massive Debt

King of Bithynia sexual relations rumor

Is there anything else I could add? I'd really love some insight on what I could do. Also, What kind of civilian would this be? Obviously not Equestrian. Plebeian?

Negatives:

Caesar often gave foreigners Roman citizenship.

Recruited foreigners into his army.

Disagree with his ethics on the way he treated his army but compliment how efficient they were.

Isn't the idea of empire inclusion? And how ethically did he mistreat his army?

The main consideration is surely your intended audience and where you are talking.

If your audience is liable to include ex-members of Caesar's favoured 'Larks' then denigrating foreigners getting citizenship is liable to go down like a lead balloon. Similarly talking in the forum or within your own home while civil war is breaking out all around you with the assassins being hunted down by the mob and then the newly formed Triumvirs (including Mark Antony and Caesar's heir Octavian) would necessitate at least two different approaches. In the forum you probably would not wish to be 'tarred with the same brush' as the assassins so you would likely be pointing up only (or at least mainly) Casesar's positive attributes. In your own home - if you were certain of your guests affiliations you may be able to risk being slightly more argumentative. :ph34r: