UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Legionnaire

Unarmed Combat Training

Yes, at certain times Roman soldiers were denied sex, or the presence of woman. Though after besieging a town, I doubt that the Roman soldiers would be denied that unless told other wise by their Centurion. Very good point though caldrail.

ok, but perhaps I've generalised. An established fort would have a vicus - the dwellings of civilian hangers-on - which certainly would have included a brothel or several. Soldiers married covertly, or openly in later periods. Soldiers were also permitted to keep slaves. Now whilst most were probably male I dare say some might have been women, which brings up some interesting aspects to life in the 8-man rooms of barracks.

Edited by caldrail

ok, but perhaps I've generalised. An established fort would have a vicus - the dwellings of civilian hangers-on - which certainly would have included a brothel or several. Soldiers married covertly, or openly in later periods. Soldiers were also permitted to keep slaves. Now whilst most were probably male I dare say some might have been women, which brings up some interesting aspects to life in the 8-man rooms of barracks

But please try to keep to the thread topic :- Unarmed Combat Training, thanks.

Hi. I've finally returned after a year's absense. Thanks for all the replies.

I have continued to research this topic - unarmed combat training and techniques in Ancient Rome - and I found interesting information and websites.

In Italy, there is organization called Ars Dimicandi (www.arsdimicandi.net), which specializes in experimental archaeology for the purpose of recreating the combat arts, training, and ideas of Ancient Rome (unarmed, gladiators, and legions). The unarmed arts practised at the institue are Pugilatus (boxing), Luctatio (wrestling), and Pancratium (essentially the same as modern mixed martial arts). Undoubtedly, like in Ancient Greece, these arts were taught and practised not only for their obvious martial benefits but also their physical and fitness benefits.

Thank you for your interest,

Legionnaire

Whilst I think it likely that rudimentary unarmed fighting was taught, it's unlikely that this was with an eye to using it in battle. Modern soldiers are encouraged to box etc to build aggression, physical courage and self confidence. It was probably the same for the Romans.

As an aside, whilst the Roman army was quite well disciplined ther is no evidence to suggest it was better disciplined than other professional forces ofthe ancient world. To see them as second only to the spartans is going a bit far. And as for 'fighting to the bitter end', there are enough Roman defeats on record that we can state confidently that they were as other men in this regard, fighting to the last man being distinctly exceptional. (The mass suicides are interesting though).