UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spartacus

Punishments

Guest spartacus

Some of the roman punishments were terrible!

The floggings with spiked leather straps ( see Passion of the Christ ) were particular nasty!

Being kicked out of Rome without food, water, shelter for a long distance another!

Chopping of hands for theft was a bit harsh too!

What are your thoughts on these and any other forms of punishment?

If you murdered your Father you would be whipped bloody,tied into a sack with a dog a cockerel a snake and a monkey then thrown into the river.who thought these things up.lol L

Guest spartacus

I bet there were some "odd" forms of punishment, like the one Longbow described

If you murdered your Father you would be whipped bloody,tied into a sack with a dog a cockerel a snake and a monkey then thrown into the river.who thought these things up.lol L

LOL Longbow, you sure you didn't just make that up? :blink:

Is there anything quite so simple as being hurled form the Tarpeian rock?

That poor vestal virgin (Tarpeia), who let the Sabines in through the gates of Rome for what they 'bore on their arms'. Instead of the golden bracelets they were wearing, they crushed her to death with their shields. To forever mark her greed and betrayal of Rome, she was buried on the cliff giving it the name that became forever associated with execution.

My ideal way to die if I lived in Roman times, sarcasism on my ideal way to die, would have been crusifixion. The prisionser from spartacus' army of gladiators were crusified along specific intervels from the country, I believe around campania, towards Rome. Those Romans sure knew how to prove their point. Or another one of my favorites, being dragged behind a chariot till you died, or the Spartan lashes until they could see your spine for simply leaving your shield in the wrong position when you rested.

LOL Longbow, you sure you didn't just make that up? huh.gif lol no m8,it was the punishment to be given to Sextus Roscius untill succesfully defended by Cicero. L