UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Encampments

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

As is known, marching Legions when out in the field would build camp defenses!

Which task was carried out first, pitching tents, defenses or putting up Commanders tent first!

It is said everything was erected in perfect straight lines!

All the above tasks carried out EVERY night the army was on the move

I believe the first task was for the engineers to lay out those straight lines you are talking about. both roads through the camp, and lines for the walls/breastworks.

Thats ok Spartacus, I'll dig it for you. I suppose there would have been a lot of instances where they had to make/build a camp in a hurry, expecting attack any minute ?

• 1 year later...
As is known, marching Legions when out in the field would build camp defenses!

Which task was carried out first, pitching tents, defenses or putting up Commanders tent first!

It is said everything was erected in perfect straight lines!

All the above tasks carried out EVERY night the army was on the move

The first step in building the city is contructing the walls. The camp would be surrounded in fossa (ditch) and an agger (wall). This ditch and wall system made it difficult to attack, and often would slow down the enemy.

The Roman Camp was shaped like a square, with entrances at the midpoint of each of its sides. The entire camp perimeter was made of a strong wall, built up by a vallum. This vallum had walkways that were constantly guarded by centurions, and each portae is guarded by an additional watchtower. The guarded gates in the vallum were called portae. The camp was connected by roads which were built as straight as possible. The way the road system worked was that the Via Principia connected the eastern and western portae, and the Via Praetoria connected the north and south portae.

All the soldiers were quartered inside cantebernium, which were tents that could hold eight men at a time. The general's tent, called the Praetorium, was located in the center of the camp, where the main roads intersected. Outside the general's tent was a flagpole. When certain flags were raised, battle could be signaled. Also in the center were the Taburnaculae, known as the merchant tents.

Please stop copying and pasting information from other sites rather than providing a link

Thinkquest

Any why are you reviving such old threads?

Fist of all, someone is asking a question and usually when someone asks a question they are looking for an answer not a link. And secondly, im new at this sight, how am i supposed to know which threads are old and which are new. And thirdly, i believe it was you who told me to be courteous in my posts, so instead of telling me what i am doing wrong, you could try telling me how i can solve them.

ps: how do i provide a link ( Computers science isnt my speciallty)

Please stop copying and pasting information from other sites rather than providing a link

Thinkquest

Any why are you reviving such old threads?

Fist of all, someone is asking a question and usually when someone asks a question they are looking for an answer not a link. And secondly, im new at this sight, how am i supposed to know which threads are old and which are new. And thirdly, i believe it was you who told me to be courteous in my posts, so instead of telling me what i am doing wrong, you could try telling me how i can solve them.

ps: how do i provide a link ( Computers science isnt my speciallty)

Oh boy... ok.

How to tell if a post is old... At the top of each post appears the date and time it was entered. The original post in question was: Posted Mar 8 2005, 12:40 AM Generally speaking, someone who posted a question a year ago is not still looking for the answer... at least not in that same place.

As for courtesy... allow me to quote myself... "Please stop copying and pasting information from other sites rather than providing a link". That is courteous in my opinion. I am not belittling you, calling you names or trying to bait you into an argument. I am simply asking you to please stop copying text from other pages without providing a source link.

As for links, you can copy the actual URL (the website in your address bar) and paste it right into the post.

1 - Clear the site.

2 - Mark out the boundaries

3 - Dig the ditch

4 - Put up the stockade

5 - Put up the tents

To some extent some of this would have happened at the same time to make the process more efficient - most soldiers laboured at the wall while others put up the commanders tent etc...

Edited by caldrail

Don't forget the legionary shrine or temple. That may have gone up first.

The 'surveyors' went ahead of the legions to choose a defensibe site. I'm not sure that this 'fatigue' was so difficult for 3 - 5 thousand men.

Going off to learn how to cut and paste and look for omens.

P.Pilus, you shouldn't be too strict with the likes of me, who still uses ink and pen. As a 'pledge' on your wonderful site, it is difficult for me to navigate it. But if you weren't strict, then I'd never learn and it keeps the Forum clean, so keep it up. (I think this is called stream of consciousness.)