UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Spirits

Even if your Christian.....do you believe there are spirits in this world that effect our lifes, evil and good spirits that are there. This is just an opinion.

The Romans believed hevily in spirits most deises and bad happenings were caused by them. :blink:

Zeke

Guest spartacus

No spirits, no afterlife, no pearly gates - just total expiry!

So make the most of what you have now I say !

:blink:

I have to agree with Spartacus here. Enjoy life while you can, for tommorrow we may die.

Does anyone have or know of any historical writings that blame the expiry of the Western Empire on the Romans failure to pay tribute to their traditional Spirits/Gods ? That is - the Empire failed quite soon(ish) after the turn to Christianity.

I guess any such writing with this opinion would have been stamped out and destroyed by the Catholic Church, when they destroyed all those other priceless artifacts and writings.

I forget where I read it, but there is a theory to that effect. Once the pagan Altar of Victory was removed from the Senate, it wasn't long before the city was sacked. Some people took it as a sign.

Guest spartacus

I dont believe there are spirits and suchlike but I do believe people take comfort from thinking someone is "watching over them"!

I am not religious but again if people wish to attend church and worship then I respect that!

Believing in the afterlife is down to personal choice

lol I just ask if we believed in spirits....I have already argued the Altar of victory removal and such. I am just talking about your ansestors watching over you or Angels for example.

Zeke

Ancestor worship seems to me to be the thing that drove all the greats of Rome to such heights.

But no, I can't say I believe there's anyone, spirits or angels watching over me. If there were, I'd have to wonder why I am stuck in an office cube 9 hours a day, those lousy spirits should be sorting out a nice, cushy, well paid job for me. Maybe it was them that put me onto this site...... :)

I think the "eternal flame" might have been the sacred flame in Vesta's temple. It was predicted that if it ever went out, disaster would befall the city. When it was finally extinguished in Christian times, the end of the western empire wasn't far off.

Guest spartacus

Germanicus

Have you ever heard the expession - you make your own luck !!

:D

Hi Spartacus, yes, familiar with the term and point taken - and thats what I mean. One is largely responsible for ones own circumstances - no spirit or ancestors involved.

you make your own luck !!

hmm..that's not totally true though. General luck and circumstances are also involved :rolleyes: like if I was born in Darfur I probably wouldn't be typing this at the moment. I believe we have control over 50% of our actions, the rest is in the hands of destiny (and fortuna :blink: ) but certainly not spirits =) Oh, by the way, I think I posted something in the Machiavelli thread so sorry for posting about it again but there's a wonderful passage about "men and fortune" (L'uomo e la fortuna) in the "Discourses on Livy" book.

Silentium,

Yes, if I had been born in Iraq I would probably not be writing this. But I think for those who live in the west, it is hard to justify not taking responsibility for ones own circumstances. "Luck" is something intangible, that is not supernatural in my opinion, merely a random convergence of events that happen to bring about an outcome. What is considered ":good luck" for the lottery winner, is "bad luck" for the other entrants. But this is really getting into mathematics, rather than Roman belief in spirits...sorry

Spirits are all over, both good and cruel ones. The cruel ones are those that influenced the Romans with such violence.

The Highest Spirit is not fighting any longer, since victory now is won, but the others, to fullfill His will. No one is from hell, but one third will be sent there together with their high priest.