UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostOfClayton

Bible's Buried Secrets

Has anyone been watching the truly excellent series "Bible's Buried Secrets" on BBC2 at 2100 on Tuesdays? I was tempted to put this into the 'Coming Up Next . . .' thread, but it doesn't fall into the 'Roman' category.

I was spurred into action by last Tuesday's offering Did God Have a Wife?". The website says:

Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou asks whether the ancient Israelites believed in one God as the Bible claims.

She puts the Bible text under the microscope, examining what the original Hebrew said, and explores archaeological sites in Syria and the Sinai which are shedding new light on the beliefs of the people of the Bible.

Was the God of Abraham unique? Were the ancient Israelites polytheists? And is it all possible that God had another half?

but that really doesn't do justice to this very inteligent, extensively researched, and (no doubt) controversial piece of television. And where did Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou suddenly appear from? She really is bloody good (excuse my French), not only at presenting the historical arguments and contexts, but also much of the content is clearly derived from her own personal research and ideas. I do hope we'll being seeing more of her in the future.

This particular episode is still available on the BBC iPlayer. Not sure if you poor souls out there in 'non-uk' land will be able to see this, though, but I'll be recording the rest of the series if anyone would like to have a copy.

Haven't seen the the production you mention, but there is a body of evidence for Israeli Polytheism. The Old Testament prophets themselves were often bewailing Israelites for honoring gods other than YHWH.

It's a shame you can't view this show outside the UK.

I assume she referred to the finds at Kuntillet Ajrud? those are more interesting than just the mention of Asherah as Yahweh consort. Its also called his Yahweh Shomron, after the Israeli capital which suggest that just like other deities in the region Yahweh also had a local incarnations, it's also possible that the image found there is a depiction of Yahweh.