UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Caeser

Emperor By Conn Iggulden

first off, what an amazing series! Gates of Rome (the 1st one) Starts by following Gaius(Julius Caeser) and Marcus(Brutus) as boys and sees them growing up on the estate with combat training by the Renius(Fictional character sadly) after the slave revolt a small group head off to Rome to meet with Marius Gauis' uncle as events proceed you find the two boys/teenagers come up against enemies and allies.

I don't want to give the plot away but i must say i couldn't put the book down

The Death of Kings....

The young Julius Caeser is serving on board a war galley, gaining a fearsome reputation. The ship is sacked and he and fellow crew mates are ransomed and then abandoned on the north African coast. After gathering a force of men he seeks for vengence on his captors and crushes the uprising in Greece and returns to Rome as a hero. He then has to fight again as there is a new crisis in the city in the form of a rebellious gladiator named Spartacus.

(If this has been posted before just delete it)

i haven't read Field of swords i'm waiting to get it from the library, somebody has it out already!!!!!

I know its been discussed a little bit, but it must've been buried in another topic. I'll repeat the main point of what I said before though...

I read about half of Gates of Rome and couldn't take it any more. The book is a mockery of known historical accuracy. While highly entertaining as a fictional novel (young Caesar and his compatriat are sort of swashbuckling heroes), it should not have used the well known history of Caesar and the time period as subject matter. Had Mr. Iggulden used a fictional Roman as the subject (main character) I probably would've found the book enjoyable.

I read the Gates of Rome also, and if I knew nothing of the historical record regarding Julius Caesar, may have found it entertaining. As it was, like primuspilus, I couldn't get past the glaring inaccuracy. It's more like formula written fantasy than a historical novel. Just a few months research on the topic and the author could have made it worth reading.

i think for anyone who nows nothing about Julius Caeser but loves a page turner book will like this book. At the back of the books there is a historical note where the author comments on how he had to turn things around and omit events to keep the 'book lovers' attention. I also don't think the book is for a historical purpose - it is a mere and i quote here "epic story of rivalry and betrayal that combines history and adventure to stunning affect".

To finish off, if you read every historical novel published (about real characters) and compare it to the hard facts of history there won't be alot were you can actually finish the book for disgust.

~Caeser~

ps. some people just like those kind of books were they can be immersed into a totally different enviroment.

I think what detractors of Iggulden are saying is... if he wants to make something up completely for entertainment purposes... don't use the name Gaius Julius Caesar, make somebody up instead. In that way people get their fiction and people who are interested in accuracy can't complain. Yes, many authors take liberty with historical accuracy, however, some ignore it completely.

That's a good point P. Clodius. How I solve that problem is the following: Since I don't remember anything unless I take notes, I don't take notes from what I read in historical novels. *smiles*

As far as Mr Iggulden's books, I find him to be a truly gifted writer. I agree with Primuspilus that the author of a historical fiction would do better to simply use fictitious characters rather than distort known historical figures.

I wrote a customer review of his first book. If you have a spare moment : Gates of Rome (under paolo giovio)