UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

James Purefoy as King Lot

Ursus

Camelot

I received an advanced copy of the first episode through my company (I work for cable television).

James Purefoy is back. He is essentially playing the same exact character, except that Marc Antony is now a Dark Age warlord.

And the series is basically the same as HBO:Rome, with sex and violence and political intrigue. But now you get some stunning Irish scenery thrown in. (Although, amusingly, Camelot castle is said to be a fortress built by the Romans, another Rome link).

This looks likes another sexy, costume drama piece that adults can enjoy as long as they don't analyze the historical background too seriously. And even if James is playing basically the same character, I admit he is pretty damn good at it.

Edited by Ursus

• 3 weeks later...

James Purefoy also has a Medieval movie out in cinemas called Ironclad. It's about William Marshal's defense of Rochester castle against King John. I had heard about this film at an earlier time but I had no interest in it until I saw all the actors/actresses who were going to be in it.

Here's a trailer -

• 3 months later...

"On June 30, 2011 Starz announced it was not going to order new seasons of Camelot, citing significant production challenges, predominantly scheduling conflicts with some members of the cast, including Joseph Fiennes, Jamie Campbell Bower and Eva Green" - Wikipeda

Critics called it a "light-weight Game of Thrones."

Well I set my VCR to record the series when it was first on as I wasn't around when it was being shown so managed to collect a bit more before trying to watch it.

I must admit that I didn't take to the 'star' since he looked if anything like any other young wannabe, all looks and no obvious acting talent, which didn't endear him to me.

Mind you I also saw a review around about the time of the 2nd or 3rd episode to the effect that 'Arthur' "wandered through the programme looking like a petulant teenager who had lost his i-pod". :hammer:

• 1 month later...

James Purefoy also has a Medieval movie out in cinemas called Ironclad. It's about William Marshal's defense of Rochester castle against King John. I had heard about this film at an earlier time but I had no interest in it until I saw all the actors/actresses who were going to be in it.

Here's a trailer -

I must see this movie. I've been to Rochester castle twice. It is one of my favorite places in the UK. It is, for me, a magical place.

But I always thought The Marshal was one of King John's men and that he stood with the king against the barons at Runnymede.

Edited by Hieronymus Longinus Rufus