UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Books great for beginners?

Abras

Hello everyone.

I just registered here today, but have been lurking for at least a year (and reading and getting excited about Roman history for at least five times as long).

My first question is not really about me. It's about beginners, people who have never picked up a history book, let alone a Roman one, since high school. You see, I recently became a little enamored with Philip Matyszak's The Classical Compendium -- a great read for everyone, but especially for beginners. And that, combined with its small stature, made it perfect for this blog I'm planning. (Toby's Bookshelf, it'll be called, and it promises to get people into reading more by highlighting short books, plays, poems, graphic novels... you know, anything that can be read in a sitting or two).

And I figured a big part of this blog would be the "Read More" sections, at the bottom of every review. But, one book in and I'm already having some trouble! Matys' other books are always a joy to read, and some are in a similar vein -- but then, I don't want the list to be bogged down too much by one author. Then I was thinking, maybe Edith Hamilton. I've always enjoyed her "Greek-" and "Roman Way" books, but then she might be a little dusty for some. Then there are the picture books, of course -- those oversized monstrosities that reduce Roman history to an obligatory diagram of a villa. But, as you can tell, I have never found too much to like in those. So any responses with suggestions for other books -- either about the Ancient World, or really any other period in history -- which compliment or supplement this book, would be greatly appreciated.

Gratias tibi ago,

Abras :D

It really depends what audience you are aiming for which would be good books to recommend. My problem in making a recommendation is that I don't tend to have many 'beginners' books and I haven't really 'read' those I do have.

At one extreme you have books like the Usborne Roman Soldiers Handbook (2004)which although aimed at relatively young students it is still quite fun for an adult to pick up and browse through due to the cartoons and some good 'hard' information.

As to general introductions to the period we seem to have managed to pick up three in recent years which are at least worth a look for the complete novice. In increasing order of complexity these are probably as follows:

Lesley & Roy Adkins Introduction to the Romans (1996)

Antony Kamm The Romans: an introduction (2nd Ed 2008)

Kevin M. McGeough The Romans: an introduction (2009)

I am not sure how to answer this. "Books that can be read in a sitting or two" are not always "best books for beginners."

As to the former, in addition to many books Maty has released recently, you might want to try : http://www.unrv.com/book-review/a-cabinet-of-roman-curiosities.php . Chock full of fun and useless information! Very easy read.

If you want an honest intro to Roman history which is easy to read, but which might take more than two sittings, I recommend http://www.unrv.com/book-review/ancient-rome.php

And if you want a visual survey of Roman engineering, no reading required, try this DVD: http://www.unrv.com/book-review/engineering-an-empire.php