UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Medusa

Top 5 Books on Gladiators

So here are my top five books on gladiators:

Junkelmann, Marcus Gladiatoren - Das Spiel mit dem Tod,Philip von Zabern, Mainz 2008
This is the "bible" when it comes to gladiators. It is very detailed with many pictures and covers nearly everything from the origins, to the development of armor and weapons, fighting techniques, appendix with a catalog of helmets and greaves found at Pompei. The edition from 2008 has an extra chapter on the latest news regarding the world of the arena. Unfortunately this opus is still not translated into English.

Battaglia, Dario; Ventura, Luca De Rebvs Gladiatoriis - Dal gymnasion al ludus attraverso i sepolcri, Associazione Ars Dimicandi, Milano 2010
Junkelmann reformed with his first edition of above mentioned book the classification of gladiator types. Battaglia sticks to the old classification but not of ignorance of Junkelmann's work but due to having a different opinion. It is equally extensive in writing but with fewer photos and these unfortunately only in black and white. Unfortunately so far this is only available in Italian, but a German and an English translation should also be published.

Teyssier, Eric La Mort en Face - Le Dossier Gladiateurs, Actes Sud, Arles 2009
This is the third scholar who's not only in theory knowledgable about the topic but who has also a reenactment group which which he tried out the fighting techniques and the specific armor of gladiators. He follows in some points the Junkelmann classification, in others Battaglia's. The book contains a very detailed chapter about the helmets and greaves found in Pompeii, describing every details of the artefacts. Many black and white pictures accompany the text. He also mentioned the effects of gladiators on the Roman society, how they were seen by them. Available unfortunately only in French.

Shadrake, Susanna The World of the Gladiator, Tempus Publishing, Stroud 2005
Her husband is member of the gladiator group Britannica so this book also contains some nice photos of reconstructed gladiatorial armor. It even has some explosion drawings and sketches of reconstructed pieces which I found very helpful for my own group. Though a bit shorter than the Junkelmann book it does cover every aspect of the gladiatorial theme and could be seen as a good substitute for Junkelmann for the English speaking reader.

Matyszak, Philip Gladiator - The Roman Fighter's (Unofficial) Manual, Thames & Hudson, London 2011
As already in his books Rome on Five Denarii a Day and Legionary - The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual the author takes on a trip back in time, in this case to the time of Emperor Commodus who was a great admirer of gladiatorial shows. Taking you from there he describes in a humorous way what might be the reasons to become a gladiator in the first place, differences of Imperial and local gladiator school, some examples of amphitheaters where one might fight in the time of Commodus, the different gladiator types (following the Junkelmann classification), the event of a gladiatorial show, gladiators outside the arena e.g. as soldiers, what would be options for a gladiator after active life in the arena. A good and amusing read.

Hi!

I've been searching in the internet Junkelmann's book in English, does anybody know if it is available somewhere?

Thankyou!!!

Hi!

I've been searching in the internet Junkelmann's book in English, does anybody know if it is available somewhere?

Thankyou!!!

...as far as i know there is no english version...