UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
P.Clodius

Who Is Your Favorite

Emperor Galienus. All of the problems he faced and the severity of the situations yet, he was able to maintain and strengthen what he took on and also helped create the transitioning from the classical Imperial Army to that of the one of the late period.

That reminds me, Claudius II Gothicus is another favorite of mines.

Mine is Aetius. I feel he never gets the credit he deserves for defeating Attila the Hun at Chalons, although he lost most of his army in the process. He seems to me to be quite a champion for Rome - a man who was a hostage of the Huns for quite a while, a man who was determined to save the Empire despite it being an almost hopeless cause, a man who united the Goths and Alans into his army (a not inconsiderable feat) and a man who had the military skill to defeat Attila and cripple his destructive army.

As well, Emperor Claudius seems to me to be a bit of an unsung hero; considering the odds against him gaining the Emperor's throne.

I like Emperor Otho, in the Year of the Four Emperors. Though his rise to power was brutal, he was a very good ruler and I think would have undoubtedly gone down as a great emperor if he had not been defeated by Vitellius.

Antonius Pius,

imo, he is the most underrated emperor of all...

(according to Richard D. Weigel) Antonius Pius provided the Empire with a period of fortune, religious piety, and security perhaps unmatched in imperial annals

My favorite, is Lucius Sergius Catiline. Declared Enemy of the state by my favorite person from Roman history, Cicero! Cataline was declared a conspirator against the senate but I( and most others) don't think his alledged "conspiracy" was all that Cicero made it out to be. Supposably a nice, well mannered man. He really pleaded to the masses though.

The ones capable of re-interpretation or whose "case" appears to have got lost..

Sulla

Antonius and Cleopatra

Tiberius

Gaius

Nero

Also many of the named individuals we know of from Pompeii and Herculaneum, whose homes I have visted - in particular the family of Marcus Nonius Balbus, once proconsul of Crete and Cyrenacia.

Phil

LAELIUS

In charge of Scipios left flank at Zama

That would be mine, Gaius Laelius: Scipio's best friend and 'Admiral' (though during that time he held no actual office at all). He did so many great things during the Spanish Campaigns; though my favorite was his naval defeat of Adherbal in the Straits of Gibralter.

My, I never knew Agrippina the Elder look that beautiful. :angel:

I wonder if it is the same with the other Agrippinas' .

There are alot of images available of Nero's mother. This one is the most flattering. http://dominae.fws1.com/Graphics/agrippina_minor.jpg

Not sure if any of the images that claim to be of Vipsania Agrippina (Tiberius' first wife) are actually of her though. They seem to be of both Nero's mother and grandmother.

* edited Vipsania's cognomen from Agrippa to Agrippina *

NKK

Edited by NeronKaiser

My, I never knew Agrippina the Elder look that beautiful. :angel:

I wonder if it is the same with the other Agrippinas' .

There are alot of images available of Nero's mother. This one is the most flattering. http://dominae.fws1.com/Graphics/agrippina_minor.jpg

Not sure if any of the images that claim to be of Vipsania Agrippa (Tiberius' first wife) are actually of her though. They seem to be of both Nero's mother and grandmother.

I greatly appreciate the extra info. I'm still in amazement of the beautiful busts.

I like the Emperor Pertinax. Especially Gibbon thinks him a great Emperor.

Also I like Tiberius Gracchus's father. His campaigns in Spain were one of the few times that that country was treated fairly. After his fathers death Spaniards still revered his name. So much so that Tiberius Gracchus concluded a piece with Numantia during Macinus