Who Is Your Favorite

P.Clodius

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scanderbeg

I wonder if there is any truth to that. Goldsworthy seemed to not have believed the story. If I remember correctly he stated that the story was told to make up for the fact that his famly did not treat their Punic slaves well, which was also a probable myth.

I believe it is probably just a false. Wasn't there another story saying that he was tied to the floor and trampled by elaphants?

The story of Regulus' death is heavily Romanticised and I don't know whether its true or not, no one seems too, but Cassius does give an awfully explicit description. I hadn't heard of the elephants though, who mentioned them?

Hamilcar liked using elephants though, he had thousands of rebels trampled during the Truceless War following reports that Spendius had 700 Carthaginians brutally tortured of which Polybius vividly described.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scanderbeg
who mentioned them?

Goldsworthy mentions it as one of the tales of Regulus death.

Off note: I was actually surprised at the description Goldsworthy gave when he went over the sack of Carthago Nova by Scipio's army. The accounts of brutality on the Roman side seemed way higher than I had imagined.

Deffinetly Julius Caesar (Cant you tell from my post name?)

He was not only a man of the people who challenged the inefficent corrupt senate, but he was a heroic soldier, military leader, and even champion of the arts and sciences.

Second to him, I would have to say Marius.

• 8 months later...

Aside from my namesake, I'd choose Decimus Brutus. Somewhere I read that when Octavian and Antony published their proscriptions and offered a reward for each of the heads of the proscribed, Decimus Brutus countered with an even larger reward for whomever brought the proscribed to him. Very Scarlet Pimpernel.

Actually, my first choice for a screen name was Decimus Brutus (not that I regret my own).

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Emperor Galienus. All of the problems he faced and the severity of the situations yet, he was able to maintain and strengthen what he took on and also helped create the transitioning from the classical Imperial Army to that of the one of the late period.