UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
P.Clodius

What's Your Favorite...

What's your favorite battle to learn about? Certainly Alesia, Pharsalus, and Zama occupy a special place for me but the Metaurus River is an awesome story. How Nero tricked Hannibal into thinking he never left his camp, marched 3-4 days being egged on and supported all the way by the citizens. You can't beat a patriotic cause like that!!

Guest spartacus

When you said Battle - is that Roman or any?

If it is any, then the one battle through history I would nominate would be :

STALINGRAD

over a million casualties in just one battle ( some say siege )

need I say more ?

Guest spartacus

I dont have A favourite, as there were numerous battles which all employed good tactics!

Guest Scanderbeg

Battle of Zama comes to my mind. Though it probably wasnt the best. the fight in itself was almost legendary. Two great generals coming together and going at it. Stratigically wise there wasnt much too outside of the brilliant move Scipio did to avoid Hannibal's elpahants which not only did little to no damage to Scipio but destroyed Hannibal's own cavalry force. Both generals tried to encircle one another but could not succeed. Awesome battle.

All battles? The Battle of Kursk (truly amazing)

Rome's battles? Marius' defeat of the Cimbri.

Guest Scanderbeg

If sieges are the issue. I would place Siege of Tyre ahead of Alesia.

Carrhae, even though it's a loss. It's one of the most detailed battles accounted. If you read Plutarch's Life of Crassus, you'll see he had no chance whatsoever at winning, and his tactics are frustratingly hopeless. I felt sorry for him after he lost his son. It's truly well-written.

Alesia and Aquae Sextiae are my favourite Roman victories. But Drepanum is my favourite defeat, I always loved the story of how Pulcher managed to mess up what should have been an easy victory - which was in turn fully exploited by Adherbal. I also find great interest in Hamilcars victory at The Saw during the Truceless War.

Favorite battle in world history: Got to be Little Big Horn, classical battle where the oppresed (Native Americans) rise up in deffiance and smash the overconfident forces of the aggresor (US army under George Custer)

Worst Battle in World History:Would have to be, Gettyburg.......Even though I don't support the Southerns, Robert E.Lee and his army was so epic and then it was defeted and it was just a sad defeat for the Southern army and destroyed their hopes of winning the war.

Best Roman Battle would have to be.......Battle of Zama was by far the best Roman Victory because they destoryed their only major threat. It was like world war 2 of the ancient world.

Zeke

Favorite battle in world history: Got to be Little Big Horn, classical battle where the oppresed (Native Americans) rise up in deffiance and smash the overconfident forces of the aggresor (US army under George Custer)

Worst Battle in World History:Would have to be, Gettyburg.......Even though I don't support the Southerns, Robert E.Lee and his army was so epic and then it was defeted and it was just a sad defeat for the Southern army and destroyed their hopes of winning the war.

Best Roman Battle would have to be.......Battle of Zama was by far the best Roman Victory because they destoryed their only major threat. It was like world war 2 of the ancient world.

Zeke

i have read what you have read , Zeke.

but initially lost at the term Little Big Horn,

But in Gettyburgs it is the Little Top and The Big Top.

the last line of the Union Forces was that two little hill.

Terrain can really affect the Outcome of battle.

For me Zama is number 1 and lets give the Cannensis their Voice.

Hannibal will be long remember by Rome.

Little Big Horn was after the American Civil War... the last great victory of Indians over the US army.

Cheyenne, Sans Arcs, Miniconjoux Sioux, Oglala Sioux, Blackfeet and Hunkpapa Sioux under the leadership of such famous names as Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull crushed General George Custer and the 7th Cavalry. Unfortunately for the Indians, the slaughter led to a great public outcry to crush any further resistance.

Battle of Little Bighorn

Little Big Horn was after the American Civil War... the last great victory of Indians over the US army.

my age are really beginning to show.

thanks Primus Pilus, i remember now ,

maybe i read it more than 20 years ago.