UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
omoplata

Share Your Favorite Quote

What is your favorite quote from the Roman Empire?

I'll start:

Dum Spiro Spero

The translation, to the best of my knowledge, is: As long as I breathe, I hope

It is generally attributed to Cicero, but I guess there is no definitive evidence regarding its origin. Please correct me if the source of this quote is anyone else.

Also, does anyone have a link to a reliable database to such quotes (i.e. one that provides references for the quotes and has good translations where possible)

Thanks

My favorite would be from Ovidius - Fas est et ab hoste doceri (It is right to learn, even from the enemy)

Timidi mater non flet (a coward's mother does not weep) is very true and has some unusually conflicting messages.

Homer was not roman but his works were widely familiar to them and has one about our fascination with war - Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war.

PS - RTW FTW :rolleyes:

PS - RTW FTW :rolleyes:

Good quotes, Kosmo, but I have to admit that your PS went R.O.M.E. (Right Over My 'Ead). Please explain.

I must admit that confused me too.

With a quick search I could only find these particular letter combinations quotoed together on the Web as abbreviations for 'real time web, for the win' which didn't really seem very 'Roman' related to me. :blink: .

BTW there do seem to be some cited quotations here on the About.com, Ancient Quotations Index A-Z but it does seem fairly patchy as far as the sources listed are concerned.

RTW stands for the computer game Rome Total War. I mentioned this game because when a battle loads the screen shows a war related quote from an ancient writer (almost all Greeks and romans) and I learned all the quotes I mentioned from the game because I had seem them countless time while playing RTW, it's expansions packs and mods.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Rome:_Total_War

A favourite quote of mine is from Seneca.......... qit uam bene vivas referre , non quam diu - it is how well you live that matters, not how long

C'mon Gentlemen... we have the longest list to work with. I will add another one:

Cum Catapultae Proscriptae Erunt Tum Soli Proscripti Catapultas Habebunt

...When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

What an elegant way to express an idea.

C'mon Gentlemen... we have the longest list to work with. I will add another one:

Cum Catapultae Proscriptae Erunt Tum Soli Proscripti Catapultas Habebunt

...When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

What an elegant way to express an idea.

Is this roman? It sounds something like NRA will say...

One of my favourite quotes by Cicero

Suum cuique pulchrum est - To each his own is beautiful

This topic got me searching the internet and it's just amazing just how many Latin quotes and sayings are still being used !

The catapult quote ... was that authentic?

If so, what an awesome, amusing and frightening insight into human nature. We just won't evolve, will we?

The catapult quote is one I had read a long time ago. I cannot provide an authoritative source for it really.

But Seneca is in a league of his own; definitely my favorite thinker of all time. Here is another quote from him:

"Time heals what reason cannot"

A favourite quote of mine is from Seneca.......... qit uam bene vivas referre , non quam diu - it is how well you live that matters, not how long

Oh men, beautiful and true indeed! :)

This is by no means my favourite Roman quote, but it was the first one to pop in my head when I saw this topic.

I've Made a Mess of it..

The words of the flatulent emperor Claudius while he was dying. With thanks to Maty!

This is by no means my favourite Roman quote, but it was the first one to pop in my head when I saw this topic.

I've Made a Mess of it..

The words of the flatulent emperor Claudius while he was dying. With thanks to Maty!

My favourite is "Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero" - "Seize the day, putting as little trust as possible in the future. " Horace.

Thank you for that quote from Seneca - have only just started to read him and wish I had discovered him years ago.

OK Gentlemen,

I have gone through all Seneca quotes in this link and noted the ones I like best

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/seneca/

No way to know hoe many of the 459 quotes that are attributed to him are actually his and a small number is obviously not his, but a mix up for sure. Nonetheless, it appears that this is broadly speaking a good list, as I was able to cross-check some and found the hit rate to be satisfactory.

For your viewing pleasure...