UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Guest spartacus

Forum User Names

Honestly about 7 years ago I just picked random nomen, praenomin, cognomin for the Ancient Worlds web site way back in the day and I've been using the same one since, Favonius Cornelius Pola. Favonius as the god of the western winds, Cornelius an aristocratic line, Pola just a city in the northern Adriatic.

I chose Tytonidae Alba because it means "Pure Teacher" and because it is the scientific name of my favourite animal the Barn Owl.

I've always liked the name "Valens". No real attachment to the inept emperor or anything of the sort.

Pertinax because im stubborn.

I was going to put Caligula because it sounds good. But it was taken.

I go by the name of Sylvestius/Sylvester on most forums anyhow. It means one who dwells in the woods. I love woodlands and i wanted to honour the god Sylvanus the god of woodlands. Plus i like cats and as you'll note the latin name for wild cats is felis sylvestris, which is where the typical cat name Sylvester comes from.

As for Tiberius, i think it sounds good. After the river Tiber, the very essence of Rome. Also being an imperial name helped it carry flavour in my book, even if the Emperor Tiberius has little to commend him. Personally i would have prefered Domitian because he was dedicated to Minerva, but the name doesn't sound that good.

I chose Sextus Rocius becuase he was one of the few Romans acused of patricide. It was in his case that the famous Marcus Tullius Cicero made his big day-view as a advocate in a valiant defence that left the prosecution in shambles. It was this that lead to Cicero's increidible success and the saving of a man from a very violent death.

As you might tell, I am a great fan of Cicero and greatly admire him. But his name means "chickpea" and that doesn't fit me so I chose Sextus Rocius becuase he marks something great.

How much we are like that ugly beast, the MONKEY! -Cicero

I would have thought it was obvious

I Claudius and Claudius the God are a couple of my favourite books and inspired my passion for Roman history.

Messalina was my sign in name on 'Msn Messenger' before I even knew about her history. I read her name in a book called 'Venus in Furs (yes, also a Velvet Underground song) and liked the sound of it. Since I've been studying Roman History, however, I've learnt more about her character. The third wife of Roman emperor Claudius, she was a wild, powerful, manipulative, sex crazed woman who liked a good party. Apparently she challenged a prositute to an all night sex competition... interesting

4012019976784.jpg

My use of the cognomen Pantagathus has nothing to do with St. Pantagathus of the post Roman period and was chosen for it's literal latin meaning:

"Bird of Good Omen"

:)

I was going to put Marcus Artorius as my user name, but from some odd reason I wrote Marcus Julius. Markus is my real name, but I replaced the letter -k whit a -c, because it looks better and also because I don't think the romans used the name Markus.

I chose SullaFelix because Sulla is my favourite character in Roman history, much malinged dictator and felix was the nickname he had because he was happly and lucky due to his association with hercules who apparently got him everything he wanted.