UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Guest spartacus

Areas Of Expertise

Guest spartacus

We definately have a "wealth" of Roman knowledge on this Forum, no question !

I think it may be advantageous if as many members as poss can post their "area" of expertise on this thread

The thread can then be used as reference so when members have a particular question they can see at a glance if we have the pool of knowledge to answer and help!

To start the thread, here is mine :

All 3 Punic Wars

Roman Sites in Britain

The life of Scipio Africanus

The life of Hannibal

Generalised Roman Culture

Of these topics, my main interest is Roman Sites in Britain, although I have visited sites in Europe

I don't think I can claim expertise yet but i am somewhat knowledgable on the Republic Period. I also have don extensive work on the Early Christian faith in the Roman Empire from the 1st to 3rd centuries. I know a little about the some of the major characters. Part of the reason I joined this site is that I am woefully ignorant on many things. Thanks to all who have made this site great.

Guest Scanderbeg

Still have much to learn so I can't claim expertise but I know the Second Punic war best.

Guest spartacus

" A pool of knowledge can only be learnt by swimming in it" !!

John Clifford

( AKA spartacus )

<_<

Guest Scanderbeg

I can't believe a ancient Thracian rebel slave had such a contemporary Western name. <_<

I don't claim to be an expert, but I seem to pay more attention to social, cultural and religious issues than many Romanophiles. My weak spot is in what most of you seem to specialize in - military affairs.

Military affairs was once a big one for me, but now it's been replaced by Roman Religion and I like to know how the goverment works, I perfer the Imperial Age to the Republican era.

I speclize in:

Roman Religio

Hannibal period of the second Punic War

Caeser and some of his civil wars and battles

The era from Constatine the Great 307 A.D to Theodeosius 394 A.D. (esspcially the last Pagan Emperor Julian)

Basically I am still preety illiterate on the Roman Empire but I can help anyone with the abouve topics.

:lol:

Zeke

Roman and Byzantine military history from 390 BCE to about 1076 AD. I'm pretty well informed of anything regarding armies, generals, conquests, wars and battles from within that time period. On the other hand my knowledge of Roman culture, literature and religion leaves alot be desired

i can never claim any expertise in any field...

even i have study some...though i have my own opinion,

and consider my workguess on military

organizational battle "wargame" model

a breakthrough, as more realistic recreation,

of how the battle was won and or lost.

without the use of dices , cards , or tape measure as rule.

but the movement is true like the flanking strategy attack ,

and the combat action egagaement rule in battle simple.

I'm certainly no expert in any area, but I have my moments.

Imperial Rome is actually one of my weaker areas, but I am improving thanks in no small part to this site.

Any areas of "expertise" I may have are almost random.

I am completely self educated in respect to history ( like many of you I imagine ) and so have some quite bizarre gaps in my knowledge. The up side of this though is that I often have a quite original take on many events and have peculiar areas of true strength which I hope has helped people on occasion. My stronger areas include Medieval Times, Byzantium, Classical Greece, and the Napoleonic era. I also feel I have quite a good range of knowledge which is spread quite healthily throughout history, which means I can be useful for finding precedents and comparisons relevant to Roman issues.

I believe everybody who takes part on this site has something valuable to offer, whether it is specific details, theories, or personal interpretation. Often, information I was already aware of, when expressed by someone differently than I have heard before, has given me a valuable new perspective on an issue.

I am interested in early Rome, Republic and Early Empire. Yes that is quite a big field and I do not know alot about them, since I can be slow at reading sometimes. Right now I am more focused on the end of the Republic and Latin Literature; I have already read The Aeneid and Metamophosis.

That's why I am here, to find out about areas that I am not familiar in.