UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Website

sonic

Looks like a good basic site which can be expanded as you write more articles/ books.

Presumably you will be able to add in a 'news' sections about book signings/ personal appearances etc to go with your request for a multi-millionaire to support your reference book purchases - a man with his own personal copy of The Theodosian Code - I am envious :)

Graphically, very nice, Sonic. Love the mosaic top border, and watermark-style graphics behind the title.

If I were to suggest an improvement, 9and who am I to do that?) there are some big blocks of text in there that could do with a visual to anchor the eye (for example a mug shot - or a photo of someone you wished you looked like - in 'About the Author', that kind of thing.

Graphically, very nice, Sonic. Love the mosaic top border, and watermark-style graphics behind the title.

If I were to suggest an improvement, (and who am I to do that?) there are some big blocks of text in there that could do with a visual to anchor the eye (for example a mug shot - or a photo of someone you wished you looked like - in 'About the Author', that kind of thing.

Hmmm. It would have to be a photo of someone I wished I looked like .... If I put up a photo of myself, I'd scare people away from the computer!

Maybe a photo of Turf Moor?

Thinks ...

If I were to suggest an improvement, (and who am I to do that?) there are some big blocks of text in there that could do with a visual to anchor the eye (for example a mug shot - or a photo of someone you wished you looked like - in 'About the Author', that kind of thing.

Hmmm. It would have to be a photo of someone I wished I looked like .... If I put up a photo of myself, I'd scare people away from the computer!

Maybe a photo of Turf Moor?

Thinks ...

All updated as suggested, including a couple of blogs about life in general.

Love the new website Ian, nice work!

But I strongly suggest that you don't put a picture of Turf Moor on there, just the sight of that place would make even the most ardent follower of your work click of the site in disgust. :lol:

ps I've got a few pictures of Elland Road knocking about if you want some pics of a proper football ground!!;)

Seriously though mate the site looks great and I can't wait for the Aetius book to come out, the Belisarius and Stilcho books were excellent!

• 1 month later...

Very nice layout, tastefully done.

Like it all but the 'football' stuff. It's properly called 'soccer' and is generally played in kindergarten and elementary school not by grown men. Please correct that...

(Virgil ducking objects thrown at him by everyone on the other side of the pond...runs out the door...starts engine...tires squeal...)

Well done Sonic! I feel your pain for indexing.

Like it all but the 'football' stuff. It's properly called 'soccer' and is generally played in kindergarten and elementary school not by grown men. Please correct that...

(Virgil ducking objects thrown at him by everyone on the other side of the pond...runs out the door...starts engine...tires squeal...)

Haha, thin ice! :lol:

It's properly called 'foot-ball', because you, er, 'kick' the 'ball' with your 'foot'. I'm sorry if this is a hard concept for you to grasp: after all, American 'football' only has one 'kicker'!:naughty: Shouldn't it be called 'hand-ball'??:whistling:

(Sonic ducks behind sofa and awaits incoming tomahawk cruise missiles.)

Seriously, though, thanks for the feedback. The guy who did it spent a long time on the graphics, so thanks from both of us.

Ian: Good looking website...but where is the link to UNRV? :)

I am looking forward to adding "Aetius," the third of your trilogy, to my library. Or will there be a fourth?

BTW, I appreciate the numismatic evidence in your book, "Stilicho," especially the Constantine III coin. :thumbsup:

post-3665-0-97243800-1308694916_thumb.jpg

CONSTANTINE III. 407-411 AD. AV Solidus (4.42 gm). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck 407-408 AD. D N CONSTAN-TINVS P F AVG, laurel and rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA AAAVGGGG....This solidus was struck early in the reign when there were four associate rulers, Constantine III, Honorius, Arcadius and Theodosius II, as advertised by the four G
Edited by guy

Ian: Good looking website...but where is the link to UNRV? :)

I am looking forward to adding "Aetius," the third of your trilogy, to my library. Or will there be a fourth?

BTW, I appreciate the numismatic evidence in your book, "Stilicho," especially the Constantine III coin. :thumbsup:

post-3665-0-97243800-1308694916_thumb.jpg

CONSTANTINE III. 407-411 AD. AV Solidus (4.42 gm). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck 407-408 AD. D N CONSTAN-TINVS P F AVG, laurel and rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA AAAVGGGG....This solidus was struck early in the reign when there were four associate rulers, Constantine III, Honorius, Arcadius and Theodosius II, as advertised by the four G

AND DON'T COME BACK!!!!!!! :angry:

:lol:

As far as I know this game is called "football" in England and "soccer" in America because they want to make a clear distinction from American football which the Americans call just "football".