UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Valerius stuffed?

I was watching a documentary on Rome's attempts to conquer Persia, and the narrator mentioned that after his death in their captivity, the Persian king had Valerius stuffed and put on display. I never heard this before, how do they know this? Is it recorded by an historian? Also they didn't call themselves Persians, it was another name that begins with an "A". I just can't recall it right now.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ParatrooperLirelou

Also they didn't call themselves Persians, it was another name that begins with an "A". I just can't recall it right now.

I think you are mistaking the Achaemenid for the Sassinids.The Achaemenids didn't fight the Romans, they were the ones who fought the Greeeks at Thermopylae.

The Sassinids were the Persians the Romans fought during their attempts to expand into the Middle East and were stalemated with.Essentially the war was a draw for the Romans and Sassinids(though Sassinid histories describe the war as a magnificient victory).

As to Valerius being stuff, wikipedia confirms that Roman author Lactantius states so in his writing.

According to this version of events, after a long period of such treatment Valerian offered Shapur a huge ransom for his release. In reply, according to one version, Shapur was said to have forced Valerian to swallow molten gold (the other version of his death is almost the same but it says that Valerian was killed by being flayed alive) and then had the unfortunate Valerian skinned and his skin stuffed with straw and preserved as a trophy in the main Persian temple. It was further alleged by Lactantius that it was only after a later Persian defeat against Rome that his skin was given a cremation and burial. The role of a prince held hostage by Shapur I, in the events following the death of Valerian has been frequently debated by historians, without reaching any definitive conclusion[/Quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(Roman_emperor)#Death_in_captivity

Its possible though it may simple be propoganda to depict the Sassinids as cruel.

Edited by ParatrooperLirelou