UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
parthianbow

Iberian falcata sword, third century BC

Not sure where to post this, but this is about military gear, so here goes:

Hannibal's Iberian infantry included the caetrati, lightly armed soldiers who used the beautiful and lethal falcata sword. Using an archaeological template supplied to me by Professor Fernando Quesada de Sanz, a world expert on falcata swords, I commissioned a swordsmith (the incredibly talented Iain at Armour Class) to make one for me. It's stunning, and Fernando has said it's one of the three best replicas he's ever seen. Result!

See it here.

That's a pretty impressive and lethal looking falcata you've got there Ben.

Just be careful when you eventually recieve the sword that you don't damage it or more importantly yourself when you get carried away swinging it around pretending to be hannibal !!:lol:

Cheers, Gaius.

I have it now and haven't hurt myself - yet. Sadly, I asked the swordsmith to blunt the edge on it. Much as I'd have loved to have had it sharp, I will be using it at talks and events, and couldn't answer for what someone else might do with it...

I had the pleasure of seeing this beautiful Falcata sword with my own eye's today and also had the pleasure of chatting to Ben for a while at the York Roman Festival

My girls took part in the kids battle drill and managed to defeat the "dirty smelly celts!!", The Gladiator show and the talks on weapons, armour and medicine were also very entertaining and informative.

I even managed to drag the girls on a full lap of the city walls, although it did take a couple of bags of pick 'n' mix to pursuade them though!!

All in all a very enjoyable day was had, and it was also nice to meet and have a chat with a fellow UNRV member. Cheers Ben :thumbsup:

It was great to meet you too, Gaius. I hope to meet other UNRV members soon!

I'm also impressed that your girls managed the full circuit of the walls. It's a great walk, and a lovely way to see the city.