UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Virgil61

Mommsen, Delbuck and other 19th century historians.

Reading any historian is of benefit. If we still read people like Plutarch and Herodotus, I fail to see why these men should be any different.

There's the obvious answer that the difference is Plutarch and Herodotus become primary sources in their own right. Not only their subject matter but they become the object of study and a mirror into the thinking of the classical world.

Well, they are always going to be useful for our understanding of how we know (read: come to think we know) what we know. There are a lot of ideas floating around that were actually just made up back then that we simply take for facts now and use as a basis for further interpretations.

I've never actually read a history book on Rome that is older than 30-40 years (aside from the primary sources). I think Scullard would be the oldest.

Am I missing anything?

dbl post... :blink:

Edited by Virgil61

I've never actually read a history book on Rome that is older than 30-40 years (aside from the primary sources). I think Scullard would be the oldest.

Am I missing anything?

I think we should all read Gibbon in his entirety [i myself have not, only sections here and there]. If only because he's so influential.

Well, they are always going to be useful for our understanding of how we know (read: come to think we know) what we know. There are a lot of ideas floating around that were actually just made up back then that we simply take for facts now and use as a basis for further interpretations.

We're always on the lookout for something new and fresh what with the pressures of academia and publications.

Edited by Virgil61

I agree. Yet the fact that their opinions were accepted as the truth shows how influential they still are. Yet in my opinion the main reason to read them is because, on the whole, they had a far greater grasp on the original source material, both due to their training in Latin and Ancient Greek, and because they had more time in which to research and write their books. When doing research, I always consult the older books and religiously check their references (where given). This has resulted in the finding of little-known or forgotten snippets of information.

I especially like Bury for this.

Edited by sonic