UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Guest spartacus

Justified Admiration

Is this another April Fools jibe? If not, my congradulations. I am relative new here, but gratuitiously insulting declarations of this type are quite rare on this otherwise well-mannered site. But I think it is safe to say that that latest post of yours is one of the most tasteless and ill-linformed few lines I have seen here. I can't help but ask: who you normally correspond with, and who corresponds with you?

I am not talking about people who I normally correspond with. I am talking about someone I started arguing with on a message board of less intellectual inclination (in college) and some girl who I once talked to in highschool (who was actually a right winger). They were both ignorant people and between the two of them I generalized to an explanation of much idiocy.

The roman are our past our present and maybe even our future rome deserves more devoted fans than it could ever get

I read it. :D

Rome has influenced us more than most people realize. Even in my little town there are places where the architecture is somewhat Roman, and not too far away (by small redneck town in the mountains standards) there is a courthouse with Roman architecture, numerals, and writing on it. It's in our government, our language, and in some of our customs as well.

The romans slightly influence nearly every thing including the biggest sports event in the country. Roman numerals are used in the super bowl even.

Augur, I'm new here too and my reaction to dnewhous was the opposite. Hey, I used to float around the left spectrum and dnewhous pretty much nailed it. Distance and hindsight does wonderful things to the mind's ability to sees things in greater clairity.

Personally I like to read stuff on the Roman Empire 'cause human nature don't change - much. Lately I'm getting reacquainted with Chinese history and from there I like to do comparisons, and then maybe throw the U.S. into the mix and see how the three stack up with one another.