UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Justified Admiration

Guest spartacus

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different cultures find different things humorous. I personally think that the idea was creative and Im sure he did not mean to insult or offend anyone. Even some of my jokes backfire and lead to punishment because of a lack of understanding of my humor, but in the end I turn away from using those jokes in front of people who are offended by it. Thats my 3 cents, I don't have a dime because I am broke so I put in my 3 cents.

Well, to take it seriously for a moment, I don't agree with Ursus that the Romans would have just as much to teach us as we have to teach them, but the appropriate question is to ask is how far did they progress?

The Romans

1) created an empire of citizens and not of subjects. They were not free of racism or xenophobia but things gradually got better as they went along.

2) In the treatment of women they were way ahead of the Greeks.

3) slavery had almost died out by the end of the empire. If it had died out a lot sooner it may have saved the republic, but they were better towards their slaves, gladiators excepted, than other societies.

4) the culture of Greece and Rome provided the template to organize societies that worked to overcome the blights of mankind

Racism and sexism are univeral properties of all cultures BTW. Western civilization has delt with them better than others.

As far as relevance to modern societies goes

1) The difference between the Anglosphere and continental Europe has a lot to do with the bureacratic nature of Roman society and the much more individualistic culture of pagan Anglo-saxans.

2) The fall of the Republic - at the popular level no one mourned its passing because it hadn't served the interests of the public for decades. This has a lot to do with the fact that a government designed to govern a city-state couldn't handle the demands of a nation. Could it be that the strains placed on modern republican governments could lead to the downfall of our republics?

• 2 weeks later...

This is what a lot of idiot lefties get hung up on (not intellectual lefties, but your run of the mill idiot world trade organization protestor type), they are familiar with Western history and criticize it while assuming that the histories of other civilizations must be better

• 2 weeks later...
1) Is there a certain fallacy in judging the mores of a by-gone era by modern notions, and should we only judge the Romans by how well they lived up to the standards they set for themselves (did they live up to their own propaganda, in other words)?

2) Some of our modern notions might themselves be in error, or at least not as exceptionally advanced and enlightened over an allegedly primitive and barbaric people as we would like to believe?

In the above two questions I have found some cause to hesitate before condemning the Romans for anything that runs afoul of modern sensibilities. I'm not saying I'd want to live in ancient Rome, but I do believe the Romans would have as much to teach us as we moderns would have to teach them. That's why I study them and admire them.

I agree. The Romans were following their own standards. Were their standards flawed? Possibly. But modern societies have some pretty "flawed" standards as well. What the Romans did was acceptable in Rome. It was all they knew, and to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong here) not too many ancient Romans had a problem with the way Rome was at the time. (I'm not saying they loved it. But they didn't have too much of a problem) Sure we might have a problem with it, but ancient Rome would likely have a big problem with us as well.

Personally I admire Rome's culture, and military, and architecture, and almost everything else about them that I know of (almost. I don't agree with everything they did, for example I read in a Roman law book that the testimony of slaves was inadmissable EXCEPT if it was gained by torture. I certainly don't admire them for that little idea.) :D

This is a very interesting topic. One of the things I consider most important in studying history, is the question "why." Why do we study history? I personally, see studying history as a way of taking what was best in humanity's past, and using it to create a better future. When we look at the Roman Empire, we admire and discuss the best elements that they had to offer, because we can use those as guidelines and foundations for the history we will create. When we discuss the worse elements of Roman history however, the point is to understand the conditions and reasons for why things occured, so that we may insure they do not happen again. This way, we take the best of what history has to offer, but leave the worse out of the picture.

• 4 weeks later...
This is what a lot of idiot lefties get hung up on (not intellectual lefties, but your run of the mill idiot world trade organization protestor type), they are familiar with Western history and criticize it while assuming that the histories of other civilizations must be better

Is this another April Fools jibe? If not, my congradulations. I am relative new here, but gratuitiously insulting declarations of this type are quite rare on this otherwise well-mannered site. But I think it is safe to say that that latest post of yours is one of the most tasteless and ill-linformed few lines I have seen here. I can't help but ask: who you normally correspond with, and who corresponds with you?