UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Boethius Consolation of Philosophy

barca

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good English translation Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy? I found many different translations on Amazon, and it is hard to chose one. There can be subtle difference in the choice of words that can make a difference in the overall flow and meaning. I ordered this one to my kindle, since it was fairly inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0199540543/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0192838830&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MY22KNYRYCAN0KFXTHQ

There are many more choices out there. Any recommendations?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good English translation Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy? I found many different translations on Amazon, and it is hard to chose one. There can be subtle difference in the choice of words that can make a difference in the overall flow and meaning. I ordered this one to my kindle, since it was fairly inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.co...KNYRYCAN0KFXTHQ

There are many more choices out there. Any recommendations?

I just recently bought a copy on a big book fair.

Its translated by John S. Bowman and printed by Signature Press Editions.

It is a hardback edition with an amazingly boring cover.

I cannot be a judge on it's contents as I never heard, and thus read anything, of Boethius before, but so far I find it quite interesting and readable.

Good luck with finding your edition.

Cheers,

Macerinus