UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

I, Claudius' Miniseries by HBO

HBO is going back into business with Rome duo Jane Tranter and Anne Thomopoulos for a miniseries based on Robert Graves

I agree it could be great, but on the other hand it could also be a major let down because after all the original I Claudius is one of the greatest Roman productions ever made,

The guys at HBO have got some big caligae to fill thats for sure!!

Go HBO!

HBO is going back into business with Rome duo Jane Tranter and Anne Thomopoulos for a miniseries based on Robert Graves

...what i have seen lately from HBO (True Blood, Game of Thrones) they like to do 12 to 13 episodes per book, so i would not be surprised to have two seasons with total of 24 to 26 episodes...

cheers

viggen

...what i have seen lately from HBO (True Blood, Game of Thrones) they like to do 12 to 13 episodes per book, so i would not be surprised to have two seasons with total of 24 to 26 episodes...

cheers

viggen

I guess that depends on how the pilot is received; they didn't renewed Game of Thrones for a second season until they saw the reactions.

Tv audiences today want more sex, more blood and gore. Can you imagine how excited the creators of this new "I, Claudius" were to be able to vamp up the old series now that they can get away with so showing so much more? People will be anticipating the Caligula episodes for sure. :disgust:

I've got the old series on my hard drive but haven't watched it in years. The only historical fiction of the classical era I've ever read are Robert Graves' I, Claudius and Claudius the God, he such a great writer I can't imagine anything being much better. He also translated Seutonius' Twelve Caesars and The Golden Ass. Off topic but Goodbye to All That by Graves about his time as an infantry officer in the trenches of WWI is one of the great war memoirs.

This is great news.

The most important thing for a good historical movie is money because you can't have sets, costumes, celebrations, good quality CGI or epic battles without spending lots of money (compare Centurion or The Eagle with Gladiator) and HBO spends lots of money and surely knows how to create eye candy. I never watched old I, Claudius because it looks like a vaguely Shakespearean drama but I'm confident HBO can give it a proper roman feel.

Tv audiences today want more sex, more blood and gore. Can you imagine how excited the creators of this new "I, Claudius" were to be able to vamp up the old series now that they can get away with so showing so much more? People will be anticipating the Caligula episodes for sure. :disgust:

I'd like to see them tell the story with a bit of class...not sure if they can restrain themselves <_<

Imagine if they still had the HBO Rome sets from 2005-2007 series. I wonder if they will reconstruct the city, which they could then use for the Rome film, or whether this series will be much more intimate and down to earth, with only indoor shots, just like the 1976 BBC series.

IMDB seems to suggest a 2013 release date.

As much as I'm looking forward to the upcoming HBO remake of the series I, Claudius, I doubt they will show the same reserve and tactful constraint with this scene from the original series of Messalina's notorious competition:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy