UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
WotWotius

"You got a lot of guts coming here, after what you pulled."

Hello, all. I would like to offer my apologies for my prolonged absence; part-time, postgraduate study, coupled with my full-time job, has left very little time for leisure.

More specifically, I would like to apologise to the admin team for my 'sabbatical' starting around the time you guys gave me two books to review. I have not forgotten, and I have read both books - and I have every intention of reviewing them (honest!).

Anyway... On to what makes my return all the more impudent. In between working and studying, I have been training for a sponsored swim to raise money for St Mungo's Homelessness Service. I have already raised

Tell you what: Have it WAXED off, video it, put it on here and I'll sponsor you for a tenner!

Shameless and opportunistic? I think the young lad behaves with stout Roman ethics. He should nonetheless remember to conquer the other side of the bank. We need more revenue from those hairy barbarians who seem perfectly capable of sponsoring good, honest, hard-swimming Roman historians. I put it to the senate that our standard should be carried across the water by this young man of fine physical virtue, and erected as a permanent declaration of achievement by our foremost athlete.

I now hand the floor to any other senators who wish to make a statement, and wish the courageous Wotwotius every success. Not that he has any choice of course. We Romans know how to deal with swimmers that don't make it to the other side :D

It is alive! :ph34r:

Hey, good to see you around and good luck with the fund raising!

500 lengths of that pool in your picture probably only works out to about 1-2,000 metres - that doesn't seem very much - are you sure you need sponsoring and not a bigger pool to swim in?

More seriously when is the swim and where are you going to do it?

I don't know about doing it naked, as some of your sponsors seem to wish, but if it's Tooting Bec Lido with its 90m outdoor pool you really will have my admiration and deserve every penny you get sponsored for. I can probably find a few coppers to toss your way - especially if you do manage all 500 lengths. B)

Thanks for the words of support, guys. I assure you, Melvadius, I am doing it in an Olympic-size swimming pool. And Neil, the criterion for me shaving my eyebrows still stands at raising

Edited by WotWotius

I couldn't help but notice that a few other members, too, have 'gone dark' this year. Any sign of the Augusta or Pertinax?

Both have been dark for a lot longer than a year. Pertinax hasn't been seen since the death of his mother some time ago. Augusta just disappeared.

I received a facebook message from Augusta some 6 months ago, saying that she was too busy to engage in the forum at present. Pertinax contacted me over a year ago, but I heard nothing since. My own 'dark' period, from which I have only recently emerged, was the result of a year and a half of instability, house moves ( 3 in all!!) and various personal hiccups. So,I hope we will see the pair of them again as and when life regains an even keel. I suppose all of us need a break from time to time.

I suppose all of us need a break from time to time.

Indeed.