UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WotWotius

Head of Greek monster found on site of new London hotel

A lump of corroded metal unearthed during a dig on the site of a new London hotel is a rare Roman mount of the Greek monster Medusa.

...read the full article at the Evening Standard.

They mention in the article that this object might have been attached to a wooden chest. But I'm just wondering if it could have been also a phalera since the Medusa head was a common motive for phalerae or any other military decoration. What do you guys think?

There are several possible uses for such an object but it really depends on what evidence for mounting, if any, has been found on the back of the 'Medusa'. If anything survives it should be fairly obvious if the head was intended for attachment to a leather belt or something more solid like a wooden box. I.E. it may have a metal 'loop' if it was intended for use with leather against a riveted spike if it was used on a box.

Unfortunately the Evening Standard has not included a photograph of the back and the Museum of London website currently doesn't have any information about this object. Personally I wouldn't like to second guess the conservators if they suggested a mount for a box as they will have been in the best position to make an informed guess.