UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CenPrinCohILegVIVictPF

Reenactors

Magnus: Kudos on your organization and your group's achievements. You guys are definitely doing everything right, and you're an adornment to Roman reenactment. I sent you a congratulatory e-mail to that effect some months ago, and got a spam-blocker error. Apparently you're as inundated with internet garbage as I am.

I'm with the DC-based Romans alluded to above. We're not true reenactors by any definition, we're into mock combat. What we are is more a celebration of what Rome was rather than an attempt to accurately recreate it. We fight in the SCA and in Dagorhir. We have membership in NY, PA, OH, and a sprinkling elsewhere.

Check out our website, guys. If any of you guys get out to the east coast and want to kill some barbarians in a fun, safe mock combat sport setting, look us up.

Ave Rome!

Dominus

wow... dominus! ive heard alot about you from guys like Vhil and kegg and the like. didnt know you posted here.

(in case your wondering who i am.. im just a memeber of the uruk-hai, vhils unit...)

i may be going to college in maryland or in that general area and was thinking about possibly joining you guys some time...

Ave Dominus,

I did in fact get your email inspite of spamblocker, I'm just lame and haven't responded yet because I get too busy. Your group's toga parties are definately the envy of the known world. The guys in my group are too widely married or otherwise sedate to host anything like the specticals you manage. We all wish. Here's to living vicariously!

As for combat, we're actually part of a wider group of reenactors who are working on full contact weaponry that is safe to use against unarmored opponents, like Celts, so that we can put into pratice all the theories about how the Romans fought. There's an article about it at http://www.reenactor.net/Ancient/nfs/index.htm for anyone who's interested.

Ave Magnus! And thanks for the kind words back. We do have a splendid time at the Toga Parties. A little excessive at time, the last New Years Eve party lasted literally four days. Consider yourself invited, Magnus. And that's a standing invitation, redeemable any New Years!

Interesting idea on the needlefelt. Sounds doable, with various drawbacks. Pila being the most obvious example. May I ask: why reinvent that wheel? There are so many viable mock combat options already playtested and ready to roll. Why not avail yourselves?

I appreciate you writing back in this forum, and I'm gratified to know you did receive my heartfelt congratulations. You guys have got to be Roman reenactment's tantamount achievement, you deserve to be very proud. And though our methods of celebrating Roman history are opposite ends of the spectrum, I bet we'd get along famously if we weren't separated by a continent. Would you be amenable to cross-promoting via reciprocal links?

If you ever make it East, Magnus, please regard an invitation to fight with us as standing offer as well.

That goes for you too, Skel.

Ave Rome!

Guest Octavian Maximus

Hey does anyone know of one in lower new york or on long island? I checked the Legio VI website, but they dont have anything recent, its all from a few years ago. Did they disband or change thier website?

I really want to be in a reenactment group but i live in washington and am only 13 anyone know a place i can see a reenactment i love roman warfare and culture b ut it seems im all alone in washington all i have is gladiator the movie and computer games

Dominus,

We are not seeking to reinvent the wheel without purpose. I myself was a boffer fighter for years and fought SCA heavies. The reason we look towards the Needlefelt is to create Roman, and other ancient, combat that has a minimum of sacrifices from authenic look. Our gear is all completely period except for the felt blades, which could have been done by our predecessors. Though, we're pretty sure they just used wood blades for training and mock combat. The wool felt and leather weaponry of the NeedleFelt System (NFS), looks manufacturable by Romans, and the resulting combats look and feel like the real thing. And the gear and tactics that result are close enough to the real thing that we hope to help archeologists and scholars confirm or disprove theories about the way it actually worked in the period.

Thank you for your kind offers of invitation, I shall be certain to take you up on them if my travels ever find me in the east.

I'll talk to our Webmaster and see about getting a link exchange set up, too.

Vales et honoris,

I would dearly love to be in a re-enactment group, but I don't think there are any in Ireland. Maybe we could be the Celts? Although I don't know anyone who goes in for full-body tattoos or that sort of thing! The Romans didn't even get here, which is a bit pathetic. I mean, they were just across the Irish Sea! Although they did trade with the Hibernians, I think.

I've never heard of these reenactment groups. What exactly is it that you guys do? Do you all reenact battles? Put on skits? Or just hang out dressed up like Romans and talk about all things Roman? Do you guys participate in movies?

Our main purpose is to make people aware of the Roman History through going into local schools and educating the children. We also particpate at local fetes and fairs dressed up in authentic looking Roman gear and again showing how the Romans used to live etc. I have known groups to fight in replica battles with the Celtic groups but we personally have not done this yet.

Ave Felix et Omnes,

Reenacting comes in many forms. At Legio VI Victrix Pia Fidelis, we engage in most of them. Living history encampments were we live the life of soldiers and camp followers for the weekend are our favorite, especially if we're somewhere that there is someone to learn from watching us. We also do school demos, fairs, military timelines, documentary filming and regular public hikes in full kit.

Take a look at our website at Legionsix.org and see what you think. :D

THis is pretty cool stuff. Thank you all for your responses. I'd like to join one of these legions one day. Right now I'm in the military and don't believe I'd have time. How much time would you all say you put into this stuff?

sorry but i live in Sydney Australia and ive dreamed of joining a legion reenaction