UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViaGregorio

Looking for info on farms/quarries

Can anyone link me to good secondary or primary accounts of the following topics:

A. The large plantations where crops were raised by slaves for export to Rome

B. The mines and quarries that provided Rome with metals and stone

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

There is a section on 'The Land' in The Roman Empire: economy, society, and culture by Peter Garnsey, Richard P. Saller which you should be able to read here, just scroll down to pages 67-68, regarding the latifundia which you may find of interest.

I also found this article on Deep mining which has a good bibliography including several references to Greek and Roman technology: a sourcebook : annotated translations of Greek and Latin texts and documents by John William Humphrey, John Peter Oleson, Andrew Neil Sherwood .

This last is a book I can recommend.

There is a section on 'The Land' in The Roman Empire: economy, society, and culture by Peter Garnsey, Richard P. Saller which you should be able to read here, just scroll down to pages 67-68, regarding the latifundia which you may find of interest.

I also found this article on Deep mining which has a good bibliography including several references to Greek and Roman technology: a sourcebook : annotated translations of Greek and Latin texts and documents by John William Humphrey, John Peter Oleson, Andrew Neil Sherwood .

This last is a book I can recommend.

Thank you! Unfortunately the google book ends slightly before the excerpt you suggested I look at.

I have just checked and pages 67-68 are still visible to me. Google books tend to have several breaks in the excerts they make available but I believe these do not change so you may need to scroll further down the page to read this particular section.