UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Wall Decoration comparison

gilius

Oooh . . . walls . . . my favourite subject. That doesn't mean I'm an expert, but I'm hoping this thread will allow me to be argued with by experts so that I may become one.

We have plenty of Opus Vittatum about the place, for example the Jewry Wall in Leicester, and to a lesser extent, the Mint Wall in Lincoln. I think, though, that 'Vittatum' is more to do with the shape of the blocks used on the facing stones than the presence of brick layers. It may also be the material. Pompeii would use tuff, but other rocks like limestone would be used in Britain. However, there's a similar design using terracota tile rather than brick, and I've never known that described as 'Vittatum'. 'Mixtum' ususally refers to two different stiles of Opus in the one wall, so it'd be good to know where you got 'Opus vittatum Mixtum A' information from, for the Pompeii Mausoleums. It may be a good source of info for me. There is a little booklet you get from Pompeii with short descriptions of the various Opus stiles in the back page. Is it that?

I was always lead to believe that the brick/terracotta layers were structural rather than decorative. After all, most would be rendered and painted. Not sure about the bricks, but the tiles (I believe) helped the facing stones bond with the wall core (facing layers falling outwards, away from the core could be a significant problem.) Also, these layers helped to ensure a fresh straight baseline as the wall was built upwards. Otherwise, the top courses of facing stones could end up like a roller-coaster ride, in comparrision to the nice, straight course just above the foundation.

What does anyone else think?

Edited by GhostOfClayton

According to the Ostia antica site (bottom of the page) the difference between the 'A' and 'B' variants of opus vittatum mixtum is simply that the 'A' variant only has alternating single layers of 'ashlar' facing stones and tiles. The 'B' variant is every other combination.

When there are layers of tiles/brick at not-so-regular intervals, say, every 5-6 layers of flint or ragstone, then they are there for structural reasons--to even out the next layer for added masonry. However, when the tile courses are so regular, or as at Rome, with only brick and tiles, then it's purely decorative. The mint wall and jewelry wall are of a different type of Opus vittatum mixtum with more layers of stone and fewer layers of tiles (though it's a shame this type of wall decoration has no strict definition or sub-types). To me, the decoration at Faversham is unique in Britain with no parallel. Even parallels to Rome are difficult to find (Billingsgate Bath-house in London and a reservoir in Colchester to name a few buildings built entirely of tiles). Please take another look at the comparison pics above and note:

1) Thickness of the bricks/tiles

2) Thickness of the facing stonework

3) Regularity of the brick/tile courses (1:2)

Can anyone post a wall pic from a different Romano-British site that looks distinctively anything like the above?

Edited by gilius