UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Roman Sex: 100 BC - AD 250 by John Clarke

Lmao, spartacus he was just giving information about this... topic. Its under the Roman Media section, i think its a perfect place to quote from books.

You dont need to get all insecure.

Good post btw, Ursus.

Guest Scanderbeg

Great read. Im interested in this book now. I always thought the idea that Romans were "loose" in their sexuality was a untrue. I wonder. Could this have come from Greek society breaching into Rome? People often go on to say that classical Greek era was very open to sexuality. Alexander's sexuality seemed to be a constant issue of debate among historians today. Enough for there to be a 3 hour movie on it. :lol:

I remember people taking about the "close" relationship between ancient spartan warriors. There was also the Thebian phalangites. Does the book mention anything about Greek society mixing with the ROmans as having anything to do with it?

It would see to me like that would have some influence upon it as roman culture took numerus things from the greeks and an outlook on sexual activities may just be one of these many,as

a developing society would look to other cultures for their veiws also as the book quotes said alot of the taboo of such veiws is placed by the christian church.

I'm sure Greek influence was a factor.

But I also think societies just tend to change, particularly once they become rich centers of a multicultural world. I look at the sexual mores of the USA pre-World War II when it was still something of an isolated, naive young country. Then I look at the sexual mores of today where it's the most influential nation and exports its pop culture around the planet. It's as different as night and day. A lot happened in 60 years.

Things change. I think Rome was changed by the empire it created for itself.

Ursus,

Can I ask where you purchased this book?

I cannot find it anywhere in NYC? I did find a used copy from Amazon but was hoping for a brand new copy if possible.

Thanks

Thanks Ursus for a fabulous review that I hadn't read until just now. Contemporary attitudes toward sexuality still bear the marks of the traditionalist, tribal view of sex as a commodity owned by one's parents to be auctioned off to the richest suitor. The alternative, individualist perspective on sex continues to be controversial and bitterly opposed by the immoral "moral authorities." As evidence, look to today's New York Times piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/internat...ndia.html?8hpib

BTW, thank Juno you guys booted that dweeb Spartacus. Who the heck wants to spend the effort on a thoughtful review just to have it giggled at by some infantile hooligan?

Ursus,

Can I ask where you purchased this book?

I cannot find it anywhere in NYC? I did find a used copy from Amazon but was hoping for a brand new copy if possible.

Thanks

There are five new copies left at Amazon USA Roman Sex 100 BC - AD 250 however if you dont mind waiting a couple of weeks you can get a also brand new copy from Amazon UK Roman Sex: 100 B.C. to A.D. 250

cheers

viggen

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire