UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Iulius

Best Roman Emperor

I have to agree with Trajan. Really the ideal for what a good emperor should be. While he brought long needed peace to Rome, Augustus' early manipulations aren't to my tastes and of course he was responsible for the end of the Republic although I get the sense that even in the end that wasn't his intent.

Next on the list probably Vespasian for his common sense and Marcus Aurelius for his combination of soldier/philosopher virtues, although he loses points for his son's rise to the throne. Some have mentioned Hadrian, but I think the darker aspects of his personality keep him from being at the top of the list.

Near best include Diocletian, Constantine the Great and Aurelian.

Guest Decimus Scaptia

I would say Trajan. He substantially enlarged the public works, getting the people to like him as an emperor. The empire came under its greatest boarders under him. He was a brilliant general. The only think I don't like about Trajan is how he had a liking for young boys.

The only think I don't like about Trajan is how he had a liking for young boys.

Didn't alot of Romans like "young boys" and those boys went along with it??

Hardrian had a male lover...Antinous I believe his name was, one day he drowned in the Nile and Hardrian built nine cities across the empire in his name (Antipolis) and a state sponsered cult sprung up form it. I see nothing wrong with Tarjan liking young boys......as long as he wasn't a molestor lol.

It was a norm in Roman socity

Zeke

My favorite is M. Aurelius mostly because of his writings. It can be argued at length who accomplished the most on their watch, but I believe what Aurelius did, he did because he thought it was the right thing to do and not because he wanted to satisfy his own lust for power or popularity or whatever Roman emperors want in life.

Guest Decimus Scaptia

Okay. Let me rephrase that. The only thing I didn't like about Roman society is the liking of young boys by adult males.

Hate to tell you this but that is kind of synomomous with ancient societies, escpecially greek. It is so embedded in their society that there are many examples of it in mythology.

Guest Dex
Nero is one of the most intersting to read about! I wouldnt say he was the best though.

True, very interesting. Agustus would be my pick though.

Thats true though...all men were bisexual...they were supposed to have a wife to make an heir with and a male 'companion' to share their lives with, fight in battles with etc.

Yeah I guess you could say that Valentinian though....I have no emtional or sexual or physical attachements to any men what so ever.

Certain males I wish I looked like because I am obbseced with what I look like but thats out of the point here.

hahahahah

Zeke

Yeah Augustus was pretty good...although his reign (even though he was the first) is slightly marred by the fact that the Julio-Claudians did such a terrible job of ruling the newly formed empire...eg. Caligula and Nero

Yeah Augustus was pretty good

Gee.....you're harsh.

This for the guy that created the principate and most of the legislation that was relyed upon by Emperors for years to come, reigned for 40 years, regained the Parthian standards by mere presence alone, oversaw a flourishing of the arts and found a Rome made of brick and left one of marble.

Sure he had a lack of decent heirs/offspring, but I see his succession problems as his only real failing.

And yet you say M. Aurelius was the best - he who left the Empire in the hands of his psychotic, egomaniacal son, who many credit with the hastening of the decline (ala Gibbon). I'd say that "somewhat marred" his reign....would you not ?