UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Translate Fortvna Pedvix

guy

I know only a little about numismatics. I know even less about Latin.

I have written before about the many aspects of the goddess Fortvna:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/topic/11786-learning-mythology-thru-numismatics/

What did the goddess Fortvna Pedvix represent?

post-3665-0-61795900-1312756783_thumb.jpg

Thanks ahead of time.

guy also known as gaius

I've been looking at this one for a while. First of all, it seems that there is no mention of any aspect of the deity called 'Peduix', or indeed any example of this word apart from this one coin.

Further checking shows that this coin is exclusive to a single issue from the mint at Emisa, and we get a clue from the fact that the coin actually says 'Fopuna Pediux'. The same problem with 'R' is even clearer on the obverse where 'Salvator' is written SLVP instead of SLVR

Therefore my guess is that what we have here is a (probably) non-Latinate individual making a pig's ear of the coin blanks, which are supposed to read what the other coin issues with this theme actually say - Fortuna Redux. i.e. 'The good times are [brought] back'. The cornucopia signals the good times, and the rudder and wheel signify the lady is restored by land and sea.

Therefore my guess is that what we have here is a (probably) non-Latinate individual making a pig's ear of the coin blanks, which are supposed to read what the other coin issues with this theme actually say - Fortuna Redux. i.e. 'The good times are [brought] back'. The cornucopia signals the good times, and the rudder and wheel signify the lady is restored by land and sea.

Wow, Maty, thank you for your response. I think you are spot on with your insight. :thumbsup:

First, I do think that at least two of these similar coins are authentic. They sold at a reputable auction site for big $$$$ (40,000 and 59,000).

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=124556

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=8103

Second, it makes perfect sense that a Hellenized population would make mistakes in their Latin inscriptions, especially in the unstable political environment in which these coins were minted.

I am surprised that the cataloger didn't make mention of this anomaly.

(A possible well-known analogy is the evolution of Parthian coinage. Early on, they were written with legible Greek inscriptions, Later on, they maintained some semblance of Greek but were inscribed with increasingly illegible and "nonsense" Greek.)

Thank you, again, Maty,

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy