UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViaGregorio

English to Latin: "politics as usual"

I'm quite surprised you haven't got a response from this one yet. Apart from this one, which is just saying that it's out of my league!

It's out of my league as well, but I'll hazard a try for others to improve upon.

As Latin has no word for politics I'll go for Public affairs 'Res publicae' as usual 'ut usitas'.

Perhaps a classicist can correct me!

I can understand why there's been so little response so far. The phrase reveals a sentiment that the Romans perhaps never quite felt that important to comment on. If you mean by "politics as usual" that the powerfully connected in government always get their way in the end, what Roman would have argued with you? Might as well say that chariots have wheels.

Perhaps you mean something else. What do you mean by the phrase?

I can understand why there's been so little response so far. The phrase reveals a sentiment that the Romans perhaps never quite felt that important to comment on. If you mean by "politics as usual" that the powerfully connected in government always get their way in the end, what Roman would have argued with you? Might as well say that chariots have wheels.

Perhaps you mean something else. What do you mean by the phrase?

What I mean by the phrase is what one would mean when saying the phrase today...a remark on how political events are taking their usual course by means of the usual tactics. I realize that the Romans thought very differently on this matter. I naively thought that the translation, even if it wasn't a phrase they used, would be straight forward to construct. This shows my ignorance on classical linguistics!