UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Entry to South /West Palatine area

Lee

Hi all, heading back to Rome for my 4th visit. Have my maps and charts ready . I'm interested in the South /West area of the Palatine around the area of San Teodoro. Does anyone know if the public is allowed in that area at all anymore ?

There is one spot where there used to be an entrance but it's always been closed. Any ideas on who to contact ? Many Thanks ..LEE

I'll be sure to post some pics at the end of Aug.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fragile part of the hill, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closed. Not many tourists would go there anyway.

Your best bet is to contact the Soprintendenza: http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en

Enjoy your trip, and if you do get in, post some pictures :)

Hi , thanks for the reply. Didn't get in so far . The do have the garden of the Vestial Virgins open again. Very well done. They also have opened up the Stadium of Domitian area of the Palatine with some great views of that end of the Palatine to be had. I have some great shots I'll post when I return and give a rundown of whats new in the Forum/Palatine

The are doing a LOT of new work there.. LEE

It's a fragile part of the hill, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closed. Not many tourists would go there anyway.

Your best bet is to contact the Soprintendenza: http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en

Hi , thanks for the reply. Didn't get in so far . The do have the garden of the Vestial Virgins open again. Very well done. They also have opened up the Stadium of Domitian area of the Palatine with some great views of that end of the Palatine to be had. I have some great shots I'll post when I return and give a rundown of whats new in the Forum/Palatine

That's the same stadium that forms part of the Piazza Navona, isn't it? You can see some stone fragments at one end, through a basement window of a restaurant or bar, as I remember. Quite lengthy, I'd say.

That's the same stadium that forms part of the Piazza Navona, isn't it? You can see some stone fragments at one end, through a basement window of a restaurant or bar, as I remember. Quite lengthy, I'd say.

Is it possible that we're talking about two Stadia of Domitian? One that forms the outline of the Piazza Navona and the other in the area of the Palatine? Can anyone clarify this?

Is it possible that we're talking about two Stadia of Domitian? One that forms the outline of the Piazza Navona and the other in the area of the Palatine? Can anyone clarify this?

Must mean the hippodrome high up on the hill http://romeitaly.ca/attractions/stadiumofdomitian.html

I wonder if you can descend inside now - I always have been able to peer in.

Don't forget the upper (NE?) corner overlooking the Colosseum where an unobtrusive hole is now signposted as the probable location of Nero's famous dining room with rotating roof. Can see how the mechanism might work, although it looks a bit small. Also the lower level area opposite the Colosseum has huge temples opening just after my last visit.

Edited by caesar novus

No , I'm referring to the stadium on the Palatine Hill sometimes called the Hippodrome of Domitian.You can't descend into it but this is the first time I have been there that they let you walk around the whole structure and onto the platform looking over the Circus Maximus and area of the Septizodium .I'll be back in the USA at weeks end and post some pics. There was lots of work going on all around the Forum area , especially digging going on around the Temple of Peace .

Must mean the hippodrome high up on the hill http://romeitaly.ca/attractions/stadiumofdomitian.html

Don't forget the upper (NE?) corner overlooking the Colosseum where an unobtrusive hole is now signposted as the probable location of Nero's famous dining room with rotating roof. Can see how the mechanism might work, although it looks a bit small. Also the lower level area opposite the Colosseum has huge temples opening just after my last visit.

I have some good shots of the "revolving roof " dig and also of the ruins just below opposite the Colosseum.

More to come ...Lee

I have some good shots of the "revolving roof " dig and also of the ruins just below opposite the Colosseum.

More to come ...Lee

NERODIG.jpg

More to come ...Lee

NERODIG.jpg

DSC04425.jpg

More to come ...Lee

NERODIG.jpg

DSC04425.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

Sorry for the duplicated photos od the Nero site.

Garden of the Vestal Virgins now opened again .

More to come once I sort out the 100s of pics I took. PS Rome was HOT all week

GardenofVestalVirgins-2.jpg

GardenoftheVestalVirgins-1.jpg

GardenoftheVestalVirgins-3.jpg

Nice Pics. Thanks for sharing them here.