UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Lee

Entry to South /West Palatine area

Great pictures, thanks. It looks like the 'Temple of Romulus' open as well?

Iirc you could only peer into it from inside the church.

Great pictures, thanks. It looks like the 'Temple of Romulus' open as well?

Iirc you could only peer into it from inside the church.

This year Nero was the theme in Rome. They had different exhibits about him in different locations. Inside the Temple of Romulus they were showing videos of how Hollywood portrayed Nero

It was a great chance to finally get inside. Last year I was only able to see it through the glass from the Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian .

TempleofRomulus.jpg

TempleofRomulus-3.jpg

TempleofRomulus-2.jpg

The area of Domitian was finally opened as well. They let people go around the entire stadium area which offered some great views of the South /East section of the Palatine facing the Circus Maximus from the hill platform.

Rome had record breaking heat that day , well over 100 degrees.

AreaofDomitian.jpg

AreaofDomitian-5.jpg

AreaofDomitian-4.jpg

AreaofDomitian-3.jpg

AreaofDomitian-2.jpg

This year Nero was the theme in Rome. They had different exhibits about him in different locations. Inside the Temple of Romulus they were showing videos of how Hollywood portrayed Nero

It was a great chance to finally get inside. Last year I was only able to see it through the glass from the Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian .

Wow, that's great. Thanks for posting.

Wow, that's great. Thanks for posting.

There was a structure right below me when I was on the end of the platform behind the Domition area of the Palatine. Not sure what it is . I though at first it was the paedagogium but I think that is further west on the hill.

You seem to really know your stuff so I though I'd run it by you.

FYI , the House of the Griffins was closed again ( been to Rome 5 times and never saw it open once ) House of Livia was closed and Nero's Golden House is closed indefinitely

SouthEastPalatine-1.jpg

Just a few more shots. They are doing some digging near the Arch of Titus 0n the East end of Palatine near Colosseum. Included is the sign posted there .

They are also working og the Temple of Peace area and have more cleared out since I was there last summer.

NEPalatineExcavations.jpg

NEPalatine-Nearcolloseum.jpg

NEPalatineexcavationsign.jpg

There was a structure right below me when I was on the end of the platform behind the Domition area of the Palatine. Not sure what it is . I though at first it was the paedagogium but I think that is further west on the hill.

FYI , the House of the Griffins was closed again ( been to Rome 5 times and never saw it open once ) House of Livia was closed and Nero's Golden House is closed indefinitely

Tough one, it could be part of the (probably Severan) substructures running along this side of the hill, but it seems to be slightly off axis and more in line with the Domitian structures. I'll look into it some more.

I've never been able to get into the House of the Griffin's or Livia's house either. The Golden House I have been fortunate enough to visit a few times, as well as the ground level of Domitian's stadium on the Palatine (a real treat).

Edited by Maladict

Tough one, it could be part of the (probably Severan) substructures running along this side of the hill, but it seems to be slightly off axis and more in line with the Domitian structures. I'll look into it some more.

I've never been able to get into the House of the Griffin's or Livia's house either. The Golden House I have been fortunate enough to visit a few times, as well as the ground level of Domitian's stadium on the Palatine (a real treat).

Would love to get into the Golden House . I hear it's in bad shape these days . I wanted to get into the Auditorium of Maecenas but it was closed every time I walked over there. There was a number to call. I think before I go next year I'm going to try to make some contacts in Rome and see if i can get some appointments to see the places i'm missing. San Nicola in Carcere was opened for the first time. Interesting place.

They had flyers posted for a trip down into the basement to see the temple below . There was a guy in the church with a clipboard with names and times . I TRIED to talk to him but he was making not much sense at all. I was pointing to the flyer and asking him if he was the guy to see about the tour but he kept shrugging his shoulders. ?????

Oh well , this all just gives me another excuse to go back again next year to see what I missed .

I'm examining my photos now and checking them against charts and maps I have trying to identity some of the ruins I saw on the Palatine. I was trying to find the site that supposedly is the site of the Lupercal grotto , I assume it's close to San Theodoro church . Many Thanx LEE

Would love to get into the Golden House . I hear it's in bad shape these days . I wanted to get into the Auditorium of Maecenas but it was closed every time I walked over there. There was a number to call. I think before I go next year I'm going to try to make some contacts in Rome and see if i can get some appointments to see the places i'm missing. San Nicola in Carcere was opened for the first time. Interesting place.

They had flyers posted for a trip down into the basement to see the temple below . There was a guy in the church with a clipboard with names and times . I TRIED to talk to him but he was making not much sense at all. I was pointing to the flyer and asking him if he was the guy to see about the tour but he kept shrugging his shoulders. ?????

Oh well , this all just gives me another excuse to go back again next year to see what I missed .

I'm examining my photos now and checking them against charts and maps I have trying to identity some of the ruins I saw on the Palatine. I was trying to find the site that supposedly is the site of the Lupercal grotto , I assume it's close to San Theodoro church . Many Thanx LEE

Keep an eye on this site, you'll find a number of normally closed sites that they can get you into. The auditorium used to be on the list but seems to be gone now. The tours are usually only once or twice a month, and I'd advise you to make reservations. The guides are good (archaeology students mostly) but generally don't speak English.

The location of the underground room that was claimed to be the Lupercal hasn't been released afaik. You'll see the name on many maps but it's all conjecture.

The only thing agreed upon (if it exists at all) is that it's somewhere in the SW part of the hill, near S. Teodoro as you said.

Edited by Maladict