UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ludus latrunculorum

GhostOfClayton

On my recent visit to Lunt fort, I was interested to see a couple of replica Roman board games, labelled 'Ludus' and 'Latrunculi'. I was surprised to find on Wikipedia a game called 'Ludus latrunculorum', suggesting an amalgam of the two. Yet they seem (from Lunt) to be very different games.

Any ideas, anyone?

I've attached photos of the games and their (supposed) rules.

post-3894-0-19893000-1314107534_thumb.jpg

post-3894-0-38775000-1314107551_thumb.jpg

post-3894-0-48807800-1314107567_thumb.jpg

post-3894-0-32748200-1314107578_thumb.jpg

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I know Bells' work of old and he seems to have combined an encyclopedic knowledge of board games in attempting to make reasonable interpretations for how some fairly fragmentary boards and associated playing peices could 'possibly' have been used. I say possibly since I do not believe that he really had much specific information from ancient written sources when he made those interprolations from what little was being found. Probably in addition to the various scratched patterns and fragmentary pieces, probably used as playing boards, found around the Empire at best there will only have been a passing mention of the name of a particular game played in the period including if any equipment was needed for it, such as the 'tower' I understand was used to randomise die rolls in some gambling games.

Unfortunately I do not have any information on Kowalski's interpretations but presume they have similar similar problems to Bell.

if you read the academic article also referenced on Wikipedia by Dr. Ulrich Sch

I have my carnuntum archaeological guide that i bought in front of me and it says about;

Mercenery game (ludus latruncolorum)

This game of strategy is similar to our draughts. Two players sit opposite one another and place their 16 counters in two rows in front of them on the board. The counters can be moved forwards, sidewards or backwards. But no other counter may block the move. The aim of the game is to take the oppontents counters. A counter is taken when it is encircled by two opposing counters. Then it is removed from the game. The person who has lost al his counters or who can no longer move his counters has lost the game.

not sure this is of any help,but there you have it anyway....

cheers

viggen

I found some sections from one of RC Bells compendium works Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations on-line which included extracts of the contents and bibliography listing references for

Hmmm . . thanks for the excellent research, Melvadius. I've discovered an iPod/iPad/iPhone app on iTunes called 'Latrunculi'. I shall be buying the thing and reporting back on the rules chosen. Two players CAN play the game, though they have to share the same wifi network, so sadly, I won't be taking any of you guys to school! :huh: