UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Messienus Rapax

Resurrection in Mithraism

This was question was asked on another site, and during my reading of various articles on Mithraism, I came across the following.

In Chapter 40 of The Prescription Against Heretics, the 2nd-century Christian writer Tertullian notes that Mithraists "celebrate also the oblation of bread and introduce an image of a resurrection." Aside from Tertullian, however, no other ancient source scholar mentions the image of resurrection in Mithraic ritual.

Does anyone know of any additional evidence? I just finished David Ulansey's, The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries, and if he is correct, Mithras was the KosmoKrator, or Ruler of the Cosmos, would it not be fitting to have a resurrection?

This was question was asked on another site, and during my reading of various articles on Mithraism, I came across the following.

In Chapter 40 of The Prescription Against Heretics, the 2nd-century Christian writer Tertullian notes that Mithraists "celebrate also the oblation of bread and introduce an image of a resurrection." Aside from Tertullian, however, no other ancient source scholar mentions the image of resurrection in Mithraic ritual.

Does anyone know of any additional evidence? I just finished David Ulansey's, The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries, and if he is correct, Mithras was the KosmoKrator, or Ruler of the Cosmos, would it not be fitting to have a resurrection?

Like you, I am not sure that of the existence of other ancient references to resurrection in the Mithraic rituals. But if you are thinking about the Mithraists having a belief in an afterlife, there is ancient evidence of that.

I found this reference in the Tertullian Project: Mithras: literary references, The Tertullian Project, Roger Pearse - Ancient Passages which refer to Mithras. There are problems with the link but you can access it via the website