UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Any recommendations on the Gracchi?

Virgil61

Simon Baker's 'Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire' has a reasonably detailed section.

Also, the BBC DVD of the same name has an episode dedicated to the Gracchi.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I just read an article on the Gracchi in the latest issue of GEO Epoche (German history magazine) which recommends the following book for further reading:

Bernhard Linke

"Die r

From the Gracchi to Nero by HH Scullard.

The Gracchi, Marius and Sulla by AH Beesley.

The Gracchi by David Stockton

Thanks.

I think Scullard's is a 'general history of' type for Rome not an in depth study, but I've seen it around so much I might pick it up. I have the Beesley book (its free on gutenberg). I somehow missed the Stockton book, its circa 1980 or so but worth a try. Pity nothing more contemporary (though I do have a few dozen journal articles).

I just read an article on the Gracchi in the latest issue of GEO Epoche (German history magazine) which recommends the following book for further reading:

Bernhard Linke

"Die r

Try Keith Richardson's 'Daggers in the forum'. It's a 1976 book, but still an excellent summary of the brothers and their times.

I haven't read this short work by Suzanne Dixon but if it is anything like as well researched as her book on The Roman Family then her 2007 book Cornelia, mother of the Gracchi may be worth a look.

Thanks.

I think Scullard's is a 'general history of' type for Rome not an in depth study, but I've seen it around so much I might pick it up. I have the Beesley book (its free on gutenberg). I somehow missed the Stockton book, its circa 1980 or so but worth a try. Pity nothing more contemporary (though I do have a few dozen journal articles).

Scullard's book is definitely worth having on your book shelf, a good book but you won't learn anything new about the Gracchi that you don''t already know, but David Stockton's book is solely dedicated to the Gracchi so this book probably fits your criteria, it's quite old and dated though and is also a bit pricey too, but I did pick up a reasonably priced used copy on Amazon. So it might be worth shopping around a bit.

Thanks.

Scullard's book is definitely worth having on your book shelf, a good book but you won't learn anything new about the Gracchi that you don''t already know, but David Stockton's book is solely dedicated to the Gracchi so this book probably fits your criteria, it's quite old and dated though and is also a bit pricey too, but I did pick up a reasonably priced used copy on Amazon. So it might be worth shopping around a bit.

Picked up used copy of Scullard yesterday.

I also got BH Liddel Hart's Scipio Africanus; Greater Then Napoleon, Mommsen's History of Rome (Republican period), Hannibal by L. Cottrell, Sallust and The World of the Citizen in the Roman Republic.

Sorry I didn't use the UNRV Amazon thingy but I go to Powell's books often, its one of the two or three largest (and still independent) bookstores in the world with new and used books side by side. They're hurting financially (just laid off 30 people) so I try to support independent bookstores over chains (and a Portland institution) whenever possible [and let's face it impulse buying plays a part]. Their classics section is literally forty feet of everything from the complete Loeb Latin and Greek to Aeschylus & Arrian through Pliny & Xenophon (new and used).

Edited by Virgil61