UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gilius

Detailed guide to Pompeii?

I'm checking through all the maps and guidebooks from last trip, but they seem incomplete, and mention different buildings. Is there any online resources that list more than 100 buildings? I would like to know where all the brothels are located, etc.

Why the brothels in particular - I don't think they are still open for business :rolleyes:

Seriously I don't think there is a complete map or even listing online anywhere. Not even on the Italian Pompei Scavi (excavations) website.

You possibly should consider getting hold of 'The Lost World of Pompeii' book which is currently being advertised on the UNRV news page or something similar. If it is anything like the Herculaneum book by Andrew Wallace-Hadrill I recently reviewed then there will be several detailed maps and a lot of associated informaton on all of the excavated insulae in Pompeii.

I doubt somehow that it can even attempt to go into as much detail as the very specific Insula of the Menander series of books by Roger and Lesley Ling.

Melvadius, someone posted a link here at UNRV to a website of Pompeii that actually took you up and down the streets of Pompeii and listed each house/building (as they look in present time) sometimes with interesting facts noted. It was fantastic, I had it bookmarked for a long time. I don't think it was at the link you posted. Does anyone else remember the website I'm talking about?

Melvadius, someone posted a link here at UNRV to a website of Pompeii that actually took you up and down the streets of Pompeii and listed each house/building (as they look in present time) sometimes with interesting facts noted. It was fantastic, I had it bookmarked for a long time. I don't think it was at the link you posted. Does anyone else remember the website I'm talking about?

I did a search and found Klingan's post with the website link:

http://pompeiiinpictures.com/pompeiiinpictures/index.htm

any online resources that list more than 100 buildings?

This goes in much depth on each neighborhood with individual building visuals (even when damaged since excavation) http://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/pompeii/map-of-pompeii

This resource list may have more http://www.skidmore.edu/classics/courses/2004spring/cl311/resources.html

Edited by caesar novus

I bow to those with the better search criteria. :thumbsup:

I missed a couple I probably should have remembered. :blink:

Track down a copy of "Pompei, pitture e mosaici", it's the most complete reference work I've seen.

And it's for sale on Abebooks for a mere $14,000.

Edited by Maladict

I'm checking through all the maps and guidebooks from last trip, but they seem incomplete, and mention different buildings. Is there any online resources that list more than 100 buildings? I would like to know where all the brothels are located, etc.

Remember that prostitution did not work the same way in ancient Italy as it does in most modern, western, countries. One example can be found in waitresses who would commonly be expected to be involved in the business. Another is where you could preform the service, it was far more widespread and diverse than in nowadays - cemeteries were popular hold outs. This makes it very difficult to decide what can be called a brothel and what is something else (a problem which we have for most activities in the ancient world). Are paintings of sex scenes to be expected? Beds? Many small rooms? Or perhaps just one small room? Do we count large funeral monument? Not to mention hostel rooms and dark alleys? Would a room with paintings of a very strong character in a wealthy villa be considered brothels? Or were they simply "entertaining rooms" where the rich owner let his friend abuse the house hold slaves? The problems are many.

To summarize my point: Some researchers have "found" more than 60 brothels in Pompeii, others no more than one. Defining something as a brothel is very difficult, borderline impossible.

Here are some other useful links for you:

The Swedish Pompeii Project (Reg. IV.1)

Pompeian Households: An online comparison

The rest of my saved pompeii travel links:

Excavator blog (offering free old guidebooks to scholars) http://bloggingpompeii.blogspot.com/

Reservation site for touring closed villas http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arethusa.net%2Farethusa%2Fhome.html&sl=it&tl=en Maybe you can just ask for any open slots on arrival to museum?

Select the structure to which you want to make a reservation

Events in Pompeii:

Suburban Baths

House of the Prince of Naples

Don't forget the official pompeii museum site for current info on the satellite sites Oplontis (do not miss!), Stabia, and Boscoreale. Maybe they mention various closures due to villas having collapsed in the rain, etc.

Edited by caesar novus

Don't forget the official pompeii museum site for current info on the satellite sites Oplontis (do not miss!), Stabia, and Boscoreale. Maybe they mention various closures due to villas having collapsed in the rain, etc.

The villa of Boscoreale was closed a month ago (but I could go there and take another look in a week or two when my field work begin) but the museum is open (to a hefty over price). Stabia is nice, but exceedingly difficult to get to. Make sure to bring a map, anti-goat spray and good shoes. Took me well over 45 min to find the first villa there (in a farmers backyard).