UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Austria: Archeologists excavate 'sensational' gladiator amphit

Archeologists say they've excavated one of the largest known amphitheatres outside of Rome that was used to train the gladiators who often delighted the Roman public by fighting to the death. The amphitheatre is comparable to the Roman Coliseum - the largest Roman amphitheatre, and the Ludus Magnus the 2,000 year-old gladiator training school and arena, the statement said....

...found at Adnkronos

...I have been a few weeks ago in Carnuntum and there are already two amphitheatre, so i am curios to hear that there is apparently a third one...

Very curious about this one. I really wonder if it is comparable to the Colosseum, or if the paper blew up the news.

...here the news in German from the state TV it seems like the real thing, but we know more on monday..

particular this sentence is very very interesting

An Vollst

Salve Viggen,

Many thanks for these interesting news. I've heard about three amphitheaters so far and browsed my book to find where I got this info from. It's from the book "Carnuntum - R

...the dimension and how complete it is, makes this a world wide unique finding, according to the archaeologists...

http://noe.orf.at/stories/534995/

I would agree with the others that this is a story to keep an eye on. So far the only news reports that have been picked up in English language media at best tend to be only slight variations of the original Associated Press notice.

I suppose the real test will be what precisely is meant by 'complete' I am currently assuming they are referring to the ground plan of any structures which may together make up a ludus rather than 'free standing' masonry.

I somehow suspect that standing remains along the size of the Colosseum may possibly have been noticed before now :whistling:

...the dimension and how complete it is, makes this a world wide unique finding, according to the archaeologists...

http://noe.orf.at/stories/534995/

I would agree with the others that this is a story to keep an eye on. So far the only news reports that have been picked up in English language media at best tend to be only slight variations of the original Associated Press notice.

I suppose the real test will be what precisely is meant by 'complete' I am currently assuming they are referring to the ground plan of any structures which may together make up a ludus rather than 'free standing' masonry.

I somehow suspect that standing remains along the size of the Colosseum may possibly have been noticed before now :whistling:

not sure if that map comes up as intented, but this area is HUGE, from the west colloseum to the most eastern part so far excavated Carnuntum is over 5 km long with allot of absolute zero in between, the danube is wild there and has probably changed its course and shape many times in the last 1.500 years so i would not be surprised if somethign was not found till today...

http://maps.google.c...&sz=14&t=h&z=14

here is a map from the university its in german but you get the pic, Carnuntum was a big city streched over more than 5 km

http://homepage.univie.ac.at/ilja.steffelbauer/carnuntum.jpg

In my daily newspaper i found some more bits of info...

(all in German)

http://kurier.at/freizeit/reise/4148083.php

...the interesting part;

Der Fund gelang im Boden neben dem ersten Amphitheater.

The finding is in the ground next to the first amphitheatre

Ausgrabungen gibt es - noch - keine. Die Entdeckung wurde mithilfe von Geo-Radarbildern gemacht. Diese Methode, bei der Magnetstrahlen von Strukturen im Boden reflektiert werden, erm

not sure if you can see this wihtout a facebook account, but here it is anyway, the ground radar of the newly found gladiator school,

as you can see the structures go 1.80 meter deep, so it looks to me that a substantial amount of those buildings are still there...?

also on FB some images and pics...

Frustrating not being able to read this well enough in German, since the English language press reports are lagging a long way behind.

Looking at the reconstructions and the photograph it looks like the 'ludus' could be in fairly close proximity to one or other of the two amphitheatres known to be on the site. I know where I would be inclined to place it but hopefully they will release more details later on.

...now in english

Mapped out by radar, the ruins of the gladiator school remain underground. Yet officials say the find rivals the famous Ludus Magnus

I know this is probably a really dumb question but...why is it "underground"? What happens to ruins of this magnitude that cause them to disappear under the earth? Were they demolished, used as a quarry for building materials and then filled in with earth?