UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostOfClayton

Unexpected Location for Wonderful Mosaic Floor

I've probably kept this one to myself for long enough, waiting to find out more details. I haven't got round to doing that yet, but don't want to deprive you of this one any longer.

If ever you find yourself in northern Lincolnshire, be sure to seek out what I consider to be the best mosaic floor (well, tessellated pavement in this case) I've seen, and in a location you wouldn't expect to find it.

Firstly, let me describe the item itself. It is one continuous mosaic pavement, consisting of three panels. The centre panel is the more complex, its centrepeice being, I believe, of Ceres holding a torch. The two matching side panels are less complex, consisting of a simple repeating design. Each panel has a broad, simply designed frame. I feel that it is a little unusual, though I'm not expert enough to be reliably believed. Preservation-wise, the central area remains in its original, almost unblemished, state. But due to damage by deep ploughing and ditching, a "certain amount" of restoration work has been done. You can't tell where, so it must've been done well.

mosaic2.jpgmosaic1.jpg

Sadly, there're little in the way of photographs, and what the above doesn't show well, is the size of the thing. It is (at a guess) 3m high (being currently mounted on a wall) by 10m long.

The history of the floor is that it was part of the floor of a Romano-British villa uncovered near Winterton, close to this arrow. The site itself is just under 3km from the nearest part of Ermine Street. The mosaic dates from 360 AD and was removed from the site of the Roman Villa in 1959.

So, is it in the local museum? No. It was presented by the family of the Landowner to the local council. They currently have it mounted on the back wall of the large reception area of their main council offices (Pittwood House). It looks good! Any visitor to the those offices cannot help but be impressed. One of my other roles in life take me to the council offices from time to time, and the next time will be next Wednesday or Thursday. I will take my camera and hope they aren't feeling too officious.

Wow, certainly unexpected. Do you know what else they found with it? The villa itself must have been something to hold a piece like that!

I'm doing office work at the moment, but should soon have time to visit the library and museum, and find out some more information.