UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hieronymus Longinus Rufus

"Conspirata"

Conspirata, by Robert Harris, Simon & Shuster, 2010, could have been just another fairy tale lawyer story. But, Marcus Tullius Cicero was not just another lawyer. Before there was Sir Thomas More, and before there was Clarence Darrow, there was Cicero. It must be a daunting task to write a popular biography, even a fictionalized one, of a giant like Cicero, but Harris has pulled it off magnificently. Published in the UK as Lustrum, Conspirata, together with Imperium and the yet to be released third part of the trilogy, does for Cicero what Inherit the Wind and A Man for All Seasons did for Darrow and More.

In this book, the second of the trilogy, Harris, through the eyes of Cicero

Edited by Hieronymus Longinus Rufus

I wonder why it was Lustrum in the UK and Conspirata in the US?

Marketing.

You'll have to do better than that! Do our American friends blush at the sound of 'Lust' within a word? Do we Brits find 'Conspire' a tad too edgy?

By the way. I've had the Audiobook of Lustrum buried under rubbish in my in-tray since it was released. Ebayers won't touch it, so if anyone wants it for the price of postage, they can have it.

Marketing.

You'll have to do better than that! Do our American friends blush at the sound of 'Lust' within a word? Do we Brits find 'Conspire' a tad too edgy?

By the way. I've had the Audiobook of Lustrum buried under rubbish in my in-tray since it was released. Ebayers won't touch it, so if anyone wants it for the price of postage, they can have it.

No. It's just that most Americans would not bother to look up "lustrum" but would immediately recognize that "conspirata" is vaguely similar to "conspiracy."

And also there are simply too many of your Oxford and Cambridge types there who haven't migrated across the pond to find real work, thus to increase our collective IQ. :lol: