UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Afterlifes

Hello,

We have many unqiue and intresting religions here....and they all have different afterlives,

What is Paradise for your religion?

What does it look like, how do you think it will feel? Will there be sounds, describe it to us...

This discusion is prurly philohpshy, were not saying there is such a thing as the afterlife, let us just here you prespesctive of the afterlife.

Zeke  :lol:

I don't remember who said it but I remember a sentence from a roman philosopher that used to say "non omnis moriar", that sounds like "we won't die completely". I like to agree with this idea, just not to fall into discomfort thinking that my soul will die with the rest of me

I don't believe the spirit dies either.

I seem to be the odd one out for the moment, but I believe in reincarnation. However I do believe that there is a "between time" which is probably something like whatever paradise in which you choose to believe (Heaven, Elysium, VallHalla, Mahannon etc.) When you finally exit the reincarnation cycle, I don't believe you "stop living" but I'm not really sure what happens (I would describe it as "Enlightenment" but I can't be sure what its like. I'll find out when i get there.)

I won't die, this I know. I have a son and as he comes from his mother and myself, I know that we will live through him.

From the father comes the son, from the son to the father as he grows and some day has children of his own. I will be there with all of them until the end of my line.

This I also know, that I am the reason my ancestors existed. They loved, strove, built, cried and died in full lives. But ultimately I am the reason they lived, passing themselves on to me, just as I have joined with them and passed to my son and his children.

My life is still rich and it will go on forever but through one thing....my children.

Victor

No doubt, since classic Judaism lacked these ideas,

that is where Christianity picked it up.

i noted that Jesus Christian have a Kingdom of Heaven and Lake of Fire doctrinal belief since Abraham, Isaac , Jacob and the Israel time.

But the afterlife, are not immediately after you died, but it will only happen on the 2nd coming of Christ. So the flesh will decayed, the soul stick to dust , and the human spirit return to God. But as far as i know the term Ghost and Purgatory do not exist in the Holy Bible.

i am doing my Kingdom of Heaven article qoutation.

I want to believe, I try to believe, but I don't. Recently I've accepted that I'm too much of a skeptic for religion. Religion is truly fascinating to study but I've never been able to genuinely believe in any monotheist or polythiest religion. I'm of the opinion that we live, we die, its over. I can understand people wanting to have something more after death. Its only natural to want to continue on in some form.

According to science energy can neither be created or destroyed only transferred. Essentially our bodies are broken down into atoms etc, which obviously takes care of the transfer of energy of the physical body. But what about our souls? I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as a soul. This is probably the most perplexing aspect of the whole religious debate. Whether our consciousness is purely based on chemical processes and interaction with the environment around us or whether it is something more given to us by some onmnipotent being?

I think religion is a wonderful thing, it gives people a sense of purpose and morality, something to work towards. Unfortunately, like almost everything else it can also be a tool of manipulation and deceit. I believe religion and society are inexplicably linked. Ancient Romans had gods that reflected their society, their actions and beliefs were justified under those gods. Today we have religions that reflect our societies and beliefs and in a couple of 1000 years people will probably be worshiping entirely different gods/god.

I think religion is a wonderful thing, it gives people a sense of purpose and morality, something to work towards. Unfortunately, like almost everything else it can also be a tool of manipulation and deceit. I believe religion and society are inexplicably linked. Ancient Romans had gods that reflected their society, their actions and beliefs were justified under those gods. Today we have religions that reflect our societies and beliefs and in a couple of 1000 years people will probably be worshiping entirely different gods/god.

with the "mainstream" religions, yes...but with the less than common religions (I still worship the Celtic Goddess Morrigan) the less common religions aren't as influenced by *todays* society (may be influenced by societies hundreds or thousands of years ago though lol)

when it come to religion, i base and only base all my belief in the Holy Bible, none other more or less.

i was even shock... that i read many here that "post say's" , it is the belief of the " ( Jesus ) Christian" without bases.

here is one big example: prove to me that the word " purgatory" can be read or be found in the Bible ?

what i mean to say... is that the first and original Church of Christ founded by the Lord Jesus Christ was

apotasized and romanized ... and was no longer the same with the biblical church.

that's why Martin Luther, " protest " to return it to it's original biblical doctrine... and rest is history for the German Monk.

And minor religions are often a reflection of fringe elements of society, which can be even worse. I say that as a Pagan. ;-)

Yeah I agree with Ursus. Alot of Pagans are kinda freaky, hope I am not too freaky :huh:

Zeke