UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Afterlifes

Hello,

We have many unqiue and intresting religions here....and they all have different afterlives,

What is Paradise for your religion?

What does it look like, how do you think it will feel? Will there be sounds, describe it to us...

This discusion is prurly philohpshy, were not saying there is such a thing as the afterlife, let us just here you prespesctive of the afterlife.

Zeke B)

The best afterlife would be lucid dreaming in a constant comatose state in a cryogenics chamber before death where you would have the possibility of learning forever and totally interacting with your environment.

I don't believe in an afterlife as such, but obviously all the atoms that make me up will become a part of the earth after I die, so in some dark form, I will endure.

That last line is from a movie or something - but can't remember which one.

After I'm dead, I'll probably wait again until all my atoms and molocules are back together again. It could be a while, but hey, time flies by when you're all over the place B)

Hmmm. Well as you know the Greeks believed the shades of mortals went to dwell in the underworld.

The Romans, despite their adoption of Greek mythology, believed ancestral spirits returned to the family line and became part of the various tutelary demons they honored in their homes.

Some mystical schools held out the possibility of reincarnation or transmigration of souls.

I really don't know what to believe. I suppose I'll find out when I get there. :-)

I believe in the good old christian belief in heaven, going to live in the clouds, while worms tear through my skin under the ground, no wait, I am going to be cremated so no worms. Its interesting to study the components of the Greek Hades, where mortal heros have snuck into, herakles and Odysseus, as well as the different levels of Hades. There supposvily was a heaven type of place underground, not in the sky, that was Zeus' realm.

Elysium.....all the souls of the good and virtious went to Elyisum. All who displeased the gods were sent to the fiery pit of Tarsus....Heaven and Hell.

lol,

almost all the religions are the same when in comes to the concept of paradise and hell.

Zeke

but hades had 2 other parts besides their heaven and hell, but their names slip my mind. Elesuis is where the really good ones go, and the normal ones go somewhere else, but if you pulled a Tantalus, then Tartarus it was.

Except in the real Religio Romana everyone went to Hades to live as Shades except the bravest of warriors who went to Elysium and the worse tormentors of the gods who were tortured in Tartarus. No doubt, since classic Judaism lacked these ideas, that is where Christianity picked it up, porbably along with Zorastrianism who also held the Duality of the Gods.

Indeed....In my opinion I don't think it was just warriors, I assume most of the virtious Roman Pagan Emperors, poets such as Ovid and Virigl and Homer all ended up in Elyisum for their controbutions to lititure and the buildings of soceity.

Virgil himself describes Elysium.

Also while were on the topic of afterlifes Dante also wrote an intresting account "The Divine Comedy" or "Dante's Inferno" is bascially a very Christian Book desrcrbing the events in the afterlife. Being un-baptizeds and not being born before Christ people such as Julius Caeser and Virigl are stuck in "Limbo." As with most virtious Pagans, I assume the other bad Pagans end up buring in horrible pits of fire and ash and such like Nero or Decius lol.

My own personal opinion on the afterlive even if it sounds quite childish I find it tolerant of other religious faiths.

What ever you believe in that is what will happen when you die, it seems logical because thats all you ever believed in life. Now if you believe your going to heaven for example and your a good person then sure I assume your going to Heaven or Vahalla or the Garden with Vishnu or the desert paradise of Allah etc. Now I think all of us know if were bad people or not and we know we will either pay for it or not. An atheist (Not to sound really mean) has no Soul because they don't believe in anything and the soul leaves the body supposadly and heads of to the other world after death. Atheists simply stop existing having decided in life that is what will happen.

I assume I am going Elyisum, having lived a good and virtious life in services of the gods and soceity...and I assume people of the Christian and Muslim Faiths are going to their own paradises in services of their god. But I don't think Christians are going to Tarsus because their Christian. To be liberal in my beliefs I think Christians most of the time will find Pardiso in Heaven. The only people who head to Tarsus is the people who worship the gods and then leave the Pagan Faith of Rome and convert to another faith, if I went back to the Christian for example...I may or may not find Jesus or I might head back to my orignial hell. It all depends really.....for all I know my faith could be false and I am going to burn forever in hell.....or for all everyone else knowns their is only one truth and that is the Polythestic truth is the only way. Who knows!

But to go to more pleasent subject of it....I imagine Elysium as this....

Someday ,maybe 70, 80, 90 years in the future, I am going to die I don't know how but I will....or I might get poisioned when I am young etc...but which ever way I die I believe that my spirit will be set free from my mortal limmitations and either remain as a spirit on this mortal plane or head to the afterlife. If I head to the afterlife...I imagine that I will suddenly apear before the River Syx and head across on the boat, I will linger for a few moments in the more deppressing part of the world of Hades then enter Elyisum.

(My imagination is at work here)

I shall enter the gates that our a marble arch and then walk through wheat fields (Like in the movie Gladiator) and then walking out of those perfect wheat fields I will enter a green field where hundreds of children will be running and playing and delightful music will never stop playing. I will meet all the dead memebers of my family and all the famous good people that have walked the world, Caeser, Napoleon, Jack Landon, numerous writers and philosiphers. I will be made to drink the water of forgetfulness and shall wander about eating ambrosia and nector for the rest of eternity, it will rain warm rain whenever it pleases me and the pardise called Elyisum shall provide all the comforts of life.

-Just to give you some happy thoughts ;)

Zeke

Too add......Christianity most likely took the heaven and hell concept from another Faith.

Zeke

Too add......Christianity most likely took the heaven and hell concept from another Faith.

Zeke

True, the concepts of heaven and hell are from the New Testament, where hell is sometimes referred to as Hades. The Old Testament mentions sheol, meaning the grave.

Zeke

Zeke, I mentioned that two posts above yours, albeit briefly. In short, Hell is comprised of Hades, Sheol, and Gehenna while Heaven is literally the skies plus Olympus and Elysium.