UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Digging for Britain

Melvadius

The town in Devon. 30 miles west of Exeter - do we know where exactly? It had a road running through it - speculation was that it ran from Exeter, but where to?

The report on the PAS site indicates that the site is actually about 40 miles from Exeter which if it was a straight line would put it in areas which have been known for mineral resources for millenia.

Understandably, they're keeping the location vague, which is a shame. Knowing the exact spot on the map would really help to understand the context of the settlement. 40 miles pushes you right up to the Cornish border. In fact, if you draw a circle across the peninsula at 40 miles from Exeter, you pretty much match the Cornwall/Devon boundary. If the spot was nearer Plymouth (on the boundary at the south coast), who's to say the road wasn't an extension of the Fosse Way to Plymouth Harbour? Now that would be exciting.

However, I can't help but think Melvadius is more likely to be on the money with mineral extraction.

I saw this program and whilst it's interesting as far as it goes, it just doesn't go into any detail or extends our understanding of Roman Britain. You're left with a sort of 'archaeology report' that simply tells you a site has been found (here it is), what they think it might be (map of the area), and they've found this interesting object (small object and archaeologist to explain the significance).

I don't mind watching programs like this, it's always handy to know that a certain site has been found where no-one previously suspected one would exist, but in the wake of Time Team who do this sort of thing rather better I can't help feeling a little shortchanged.